X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slick
    Scout
    • Oct 2007

wall building?

Is there a capability in Angband for wall building? In Moria, there was a quite useful Wand of Wall Building. Great for setting up the battle areas to maximum player benefit. I'm guessing it was too powerful and removed in Angband???
  • Djabanete
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

I loved Wands of Wall Building. They were the coolest thing ever. Don't know why we don't have them in Angband.

Comment

• Mondkalb
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

There are two somewhat useful things in Vanilla to break los:
      "create doors" spell for mages/rangers and "earthquake" for priests/paladins and from staves. The latter is not sure for breaking los, it could but, it also may destroy some monsters and some stuff on the floor.
      My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

I like wall building too. I recently put a wall building wand on the angband wish list from other variants or some such topic.

I know it's a wall building wand, but I think of it as a pillardance tool complete with squaredance music.
        You are on something strange

Comment

• Dragonboneman
          Adept
          • Aug 2007

Did these create walls along the line of a wand beam? Sounds like it would be fun experimenting with that.

Comment

• Djabanete
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Yes. It was fun. The possibilities are endless...

And they're much more versatile wands than slow/confuse/sleep monster.

Comment

• Slick
              Scout
              • Oct 2007

Yes, they produced a wall along the beam (not sure of the max length), usually ending in connecting to another wall somewhere. Diagonal walls were not solid, in that they produced a diagonal line of wall squares that any monster could go thru diagonally in the perpendicular direction. To make an unpassable diagonal wall, you had to use 2 charges to align 2 diagonal walls right next to each other. They had some other effects such as causing damage to most creatures, but actually healing creatures that would be harmed by a rock remover such as most X's. If memory serves, they would do more damage (kill?) immobile creatures that couldn't move out of the way. They were much more than line of sight blockers in that they could be used to contain anything that couldn't remove or pass thru rock -- real nasty baddies or explosive breeders were top candidates for containment this way. Yes, they were part of Moria's pillar dancing starter kit, along with a wand of stone-to-mud. They could used to set up rooms to minimize attacks while allowing precious floor space to remain so those AMHD's would have room to die and explode into lots of shiny things -- Moria didn't have object stacking on floor tiles; only 1 item per floor space. As I stated, it seemed a little overpowered sometimes.
              Last edited by Slick; November 3, 2007, 15:40.

Comment

• Dragonboneman
                Adept
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Slick
                Yes, they produced a wall along the beam (not sure of the max length), usually ending in connecting to another wall somewhere. Diagonal walls were not solid, in that they produced a diagonal line of wall squares that any monster could go thru diagonally in the perpendicular direction. To make an unpassable diagonal wall, you had to use 2 charges to align 2 diagonal walls right next to each other. They had some other effects such as causing damage to most creatures, but actually healing creatures that would be harmed by a rock remover such as most X's. If memory serves, they would do more damage (kill?) immobile creatures that couldn't move out of the way. They were much more than line of sight blockers in that they could be used to contain anything that couldn't remove or pass thru rock -- real nasty baddies or explosive breeders were top candidates for containment this way. Yes, they were part of Moria's pillar dancing starter kit, along with a wand of stone-to-mud. They could used to set up rooms to minimize attacks while allowing precious floor space to remain so those AHMD's would have room to die and explode into lots of shiny things -- Moria didn't have object stacking on floor tiles; only 1 item per floor space. As I stated, it seemed a little overpowered sometimes.

Wow, you answered most of my other questions before I asked them! I'm not convinced they'd be considered overpowered compared to things like Banishment effects though.
                I can imagine them creating funnels to help against summoners, completely closing corridors to prevent pursuit, or closing any pits you don't want to deal with.
                Some bonus questions:
                Would such a wand instantly kill Qlzzlzzuup or whatever his name is? If not, I suppose it would be pretty easy to contain him in a "cell" and kill him with minimal effort.
                Would they have any effect in a vault or in town?
                What would happen if you used a Wand of Wall Creation in a single-width corridor containing a Stone Troll? It wouldn't have anywhere to dodge, so would the troll end up "buried" ala destruction effects?

Comment

• Slick
                  Scout
                  • Oct 2007

Implementation of a Wand of Wall building in Angband, as well as its effects on specific monsters, would be entirely up to the programmer.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎