X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Weird 2:00 AM idea for Charisma

Okay, you are all familiar with my complaints about searching and perception in Angband...

And one of the main complaints about Angband in general is that Charisma is a dump stat...

How about making Charisma influence searching and perception?

The idea is, instead of just physical prettiness, Charisma represents how "wordly" and street-smart your character is. So it could affect trap-related skills, and maybe a bunch of other things. (Pseudo-ID speed? Accuracy of level feelings?)

This would mean no more acid attacks affecting CHR and whatnot. (Does V have that? I forget.) But maybe mental attacks could impact CHR instead.

Maybe rename the stat - "WLS" for "worldliness" or "JMT" for "judgment" or something like that, it doesn't really matter. The idea is to make stat #6 no longer a dump stat by having it fix something that didn't quite work before.

(I'm actually experimenting with this on one of my own projects, I'll see if it turns out alright...)
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

It is a bit of a stretch if we still call it Charisma, but I think it is an interesting idea. I mentioned somewhere on here before that I thought CHA could affect Stealth by sort of a similar mechanism- stealth isn't always about being invisible, it is also having the confidence and social skill to pass yourself off as a someone who belongs there.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎