X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whelk
    Adept
    • Jun 2007

Yes, I know that's a door

How about having the look command ignore doors? Minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless to have to get past them and to what you actually want to look at off in that direction. Is there a reason to look at doors in the first place?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

At least for open doors you may want to check if they're broken or not. I don't remember if closed doors tell you if they're locked or jammed, but that could be important information. Of course, you could always switch to manual targeting mode to look at any specific tile.

Comment

• Whelk
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

In the case of broken doors, they show up in a different color (darker shade of brown).

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Whelk
        In the case of broken doors, they show up in a different color (darker shade of brown).
        If your eyesight is good enough. They look identical to me, and I rely on 'l'ooking at doors for tactical choices. I guess I should just make them red ... in fact I'm sure I've done that in a long-lost pref file ....

No, 'l'ook doesn't tell you if a closed door is locked or jammed. This has killed me more than once - I've tried to flee through a closed door only to remember on dying that I jammed it ten minutes ago ...
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Whelk
          Adept
          • Jun 2007

So if the color of broken doors is changed slightly to be more obvious, there's really no point in "l"ooking at them, yes?

If people see no reason to change it - is there some kind of hack I could do to have the "l"ook command ignore doors? I'm considering hacking out the priest icky_wield as well, as I've always thought it one of the silliest restrictions ever.

Comment

• bio_hazard
            Knight
            • Dec 2008

Is there even a reason to have broken doors at all?

Comment

• fizzix
              Prophet
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by bio_hazard
              Is there even a reason to have broken doors at all?
              yes, there is a huge reason to have broken doors. Closing doors is an easy way to block LoS. Monsters that break down doors eliminate that possibility.

Vanilla has such limited terrain options, I'd rather keep the small ones it does have.

Now locked/hidden/stuck doors are really just annoyances for a vast majority of the game.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Locked doors are typically only hard to deal with for characters that have the brute strength to just break them open. Of course, that could cause the door to break...

Jammed doors are occasional legitimate problems for weaker characters, though. Of course, they don't show up all that often.

Comment

• bulian
                  Adept
                  • Sep 2010

I don't really understand why you can tunnel through doors that you can't bash through. I guess bash means you use your shoulder?

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

To my knowledge, the only doors you can tunnel through are as-yet-undiscovered secret doors. As soon as you know it's a door your character becomes too polite to bore through it. It is a bit odd; I'd support allowing the player to tunnel through doors as a stand-in for physically destroying the door with their current weapon.

Comment

• d_m
                      Angband Devteam member
                      • Aug 2008

I've been meaning to fix bash so it isn't so useless (or remove it).
                      linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Lord Fell
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 2010

After my 18/?? strength dwarf failed to bash down a door "so many times" that I instead tunneled around it, I can get behind this (where "this" =an improvement to the Bash function).

Comment

• Magnate
                          Angband Devteam member
                          • May 2007

When did we stop being able to tunnel through doors? Admittedly I haven't tried it for many versions, but I definitely remember doing it.
                          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• d_m
                            Angband Devteam member
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
                            When did we stop being able to tunnel through doors? Admittedly I haven't tried it for many versions, but I definitely remember doing it.
                            I'm pretty sure you can still do it.
                            linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Whelk
                              Adept
                              • Jun 2007

As of 3.1.2v2:

You tunnel into the door. <26x>
                              You have finished the tunnel.

Comment

Working...
                              😀