Calculating potential damage... Maybe a stupid question...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saw
    Scout
    • May 2010

Calculating potential damage... Maybe a stupid question...

OK... maybe something stupid here, but wtf... since I can't find anything in the doc...

If you look at the INFOMRATION for a weapon you carry, you get something like:

--
    Combat info:
    3 blows/round
    Average damage/hit: 22.8 vs. evil creatures and 19.1 vs others.
    --

Now, when I whack something with it, I see...

---
    You hit the x, You smite the x, You hit the x.
    --

Cool... 3 shots at it.

QUESTION: Did I do an average TOTAL of 22.8 or 19.1 in my 3 hits, OR Did I do that 3 times (eg, 22.8 + 22.8 + 22.8) ?
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

22.8 per hit, like it says ... so three times that if all three blows hit ...
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Ycombinator
      Adept
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by saw
      QUESTION: Did I do an average TOTAL of 22.8 or 19.1 in my 3 hits, OR Did I do that 3 times (eg, 22.8 + 22.8 + 22.8) ?
      The latter is correct.

Comment

• saw
        Scout
        • May 2010

Thanks for the answer... seemed like it could go either way.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

You did 3*22.8 (on average*) if it was evil, and 3*19.1 (on average*) if it wasn't.

(*) Maybe more, maybe less, but if your weapon has dice XdY, and X>1 there'll be a bias towards the average value (the bias grows stronger the larger the X).

EDIT: Unless it's been changed and the damage is no longer actually random... in which case I'd question the use of "Average" in the damage display.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
            You did 3*22.8 (on average*) if it was evil, and 3*19.1 (on average*) if it wasn't.

(*) Maybe more, maybe less, but if your weapon has dice XdY, and X>1 there'll be a bias towards the average value (the bias grows stronger the larger the X).

EDIT: Unless it's been changed and the damage is no longer actually random... in which case I'd question the use of "Average" in the damage display.
            It's still random.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎