Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jungle_Boy
    Swordsman
    • Nov 2008

So I've decided that a better way to make up for aggravate is to give more HP and faster level gain instead of resists. I did give resist fear since if he get's feared there is nothing he can do since his ranged and devices skills are so bad. I have tested this with warriors and rogues down to about 2000 ft. After that things get dangerous and I am usually getting careless and die. If anyone else wants to try it out I would welcome the feedback. I suspect that a sufficiently careful player would be able to do much better. Below is my current entry from p_race.txt

N:1:Half-Giant
    S:6:-6:-5:-3:5:-12
    R:-15:-100:-10:-5:-5:10:20:-165:5:40
    X:19:70:4
    I:21:15:5
    H:180:5:160:3
    W:255:0:250:5
    F:REGEN | AGGRAVATE | SUST_STR | RES_FEAR
    C:0
    My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Comparing this Half-Giant to the current Half-Troll:

STR: 6 vs 4
      INT: -6 vs -4
      WIS: -5 vs -2
      DEX: -3 vs -4
      CON: 5 vs 3
      CHA: -12 vs -6
      Hitdie: 19 vs 12
      Experience rate: 70 vs 120

Uniformly worse at disarming, devices, saving throw, stealth, searching, perception, missiles. Better at melee, throwing, and digging.

Both have regen and sustain strength; half-giants also get aggravate and resist fear.

So in short, the half-giant comes roaring out of the gate, gaining levels (and therefore hitpoints) so quickly that practically nothing can actually hurt him. Then somewhere around 2000' he stops being able to gain levels so quickly, and the fact that he's completely hopeless with any form of magic catches up to him. Warriors are heavily reliant on magical devices, and the only ones he can depend on are scrolls and potions. And I'd say that 2000' or so marks the point at which big hitpoints stop being so much of a safety net.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎