X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

A damage question...

So I've been wielding the Pike Til-i-arc rather than Nimthanc since it is branded with fire and frost. What I'm curious about is does the damage stack if the monster isn't immune to either fire or cold? Also does the elemental damage stack with the slays? I ask since I don't see Til-i-arc doing that much more damage than Nim or Narthanc. But I could be wrong. I just want to know so that I don't waste time wielding something that isn't doing a lot of damage. On the otehr hand that +2 speed is pretty handy.

Here is the link to my character dump.

Thanks in advance.
  • Sirridan
    Knight
    • May 2009

Nope, it picks the biggest brand, or one that's a tie.

If it's not immune to fire or cold, it still gets hit with just one of the brands (x3 dice).

Til is better because of the stats and speed, and +2 speed increases your damage by 20%, plus it has two brands and several slays.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Sirridan
      Nope, it picks the biggest brand, or one that's a tie.

If it's not immune to fire or cold, it still gets hit with just one of the brands (x3 dice).

Til is better because of the stats and speed, and +2 speed increases your damage by 20%, plus it has two brands and several slays.
      How does speed increase your damage? I understand how being faster lets you get a free round every so often, but more damage?

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
        How does speed increase your damage? I understand how being faster lets you get a free round every so often, but more damage?
        He means the same thing you do: an extra round every 5 turns corresponds to 20% more damage.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

Okay that makes sense I guess, but only if you actually hit your enemy.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

That's like saying "Weapons with extra attacks increase your damage, but only if you hit your enemy". More swings = more opportunities to deal damage = more average damage.

Comment

• Sirridan
              Knight
              • May 2009

Thanks Pete, I should have explained what I meant a bit better.

Anyway, the +2 speed not only increases damage, but that extra round every so often gives you a little more survivability, and if you happen to carry too much weight, you can carry a bit more before you fall to zero speed, and as always negative speed can and probably will lead to you getting killed.

Comment

• zaimoni
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sirridan
                Thanks Pete, I should have explained what I meant a bit better.

Anyway, the +2 speed not only increases damage, but that extra round every so often gives you a little more survivability, and if you happen to carry too much weight, you can carry a bit more before you fall to zero speed, and as always negative speed can and probably will lead to you getting killed.
                Well, it depends on your playstyle.

Through stat-gain, ranged tanks seem to be fine as long as nothing gets continual triple moves on them. Past that point, there's too many summoners and big breathers to allow triple moves. (At least through DL30 I've found -5/-6 speed very survivable with a Death Bow and some attention to line of sight to practically never end up in serious melee.)
                Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Sirridan
                  Knight
                  • May 2009

True enough, although if you stop paying attention, you'll get murdered at negative speeds much more quickly than with speed >= 0. That's my big problem, lapses in concentration.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
                    Well, it depends on your playstyle.

Through stat-gain, ranged tanks seem to be fine as long as nothing gets continual triple moves on them. Past that point, there's too many summoners and big breathers to allow triple moves. (At least through DL30 I've found -5/-6 speed very survivable with a Death Bow and some attention to line of sight to practically never end up in serious melee.)
                    -5/-6 is not very survivable in vanilla angband at stat-gain depths and deeper. At least not unless you play with patience of a borg.

There are no Death Bows in vanilla, so I'm guessing you are playing some variant.

Comment

• zaimoni
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                      -5/-6 is not very survivable in vanilla angband at stat-gain depths and deeper. At least not unless you play with patience of a borg.

There are no Death Bows in vanilla, so I'm guessing you are playing some variant.
                      +9, +9 bow (or crossbow) with +7,+7 or better ammunition does exist in V, and makes most if not all non-breeding non-breather non-spellcasters trivial. I normally have one of those by DL 15.

It gets even better with Extra Shots and branded arrows/bolts.
                      Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                      Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                      Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2010

I agree and if I can't find a good bow I try to make one with scrolls. And extra shots is more important than extra damage in most cases.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
                          +9, +9 bow (or crossbow) with +7,+7 or better ammunition does exist in V, and makes most if not all non-breeding non-breather non-spellcasters trivial. I normally have one of those by DL 15.

It gets even better with Extra Shots and branded arrows/bolts.
                          Problem is spellcasters and breathers. One gravity/nexus hound breath and you can find yourself in place where you get yourself killed before you get a turn. You can't run from them with that low speed and teleport is way too risky also. Teleport other is no use against packs and *destruction* or banishment is too rare. Only way to be sure to survive is to stay close to stairs and detect like crazy.

It is survivable a very short period of time, but even that is risky.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                            Swordsman
                            • Apr 2010

I agree, lack of speed WILL kill you. Infact, I can't believe that my last character survived being a -3 speed( due to encumbrance) for as long as he did. Now, I tend to haste myself BEFORE I go down stairs of recall to the dungeon. I'll also use a resist spell when I go down.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎