X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

How are "the elements" resisted?

I got this (super spiffy) randart ring on my new rogue, and it activates for Breathe elements. Is that resistable? How is the resist calculated?

Also, the description just says "allows you to breathe" and doesn't say "the elements". But in-game it says "the elements" when activated.

Code:
    The Ring of Angwaelos (+6)
         +6 strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, charisma, tunneling, 
         speed.
         Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, fear, light, 
         dark, blindness, shards.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
         Sustains intelligence, constitution.
         Feather Falling.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to see
         invisible things.  

When aimed, it allows you to breathe for 300 damage.
         Takes 504 to 945 turns to recharge at your current speed.
         Your chance of success is 85.8%
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

looking through the code, breathe the elements is what power dragon scale mail does. It appears to be unresistable (of the same form as magic missile). I'm not sure how this effects objects on the ground.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Assuming this hasn't changed since ToME split off, magic missile damage is just unresistable "pure" damage, and doesn't affect anything on the ground. The reason I mention ToME is because it has a class that gets randomly-generated attack spells, which can include "magic missile balls" and the like.

I find the description of the activation amusing. It must give you phenomenally bad breath!

Comment

• Zikke
        Veteran
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
        I find the description of the activation amusing. It must give you phenomenally bad breath!
        That was my thought too! And truly bad breath is truly un-resistable.

Comment

• Djabanete
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

That thing doesn't boost your CON? Sell it man, inventory and home space are at a premium these days.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

When I find a suitable replacement I will get rid of it. Anything with +10 speed or higher, or a missing immunity would be great. Right now this isn't that bad since it has +6 speed on it along with all the rest of the stuff

Comment

• Djabanete
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
              When I find a suitable replacement I will get rid of it. Anything with +10 speed or higher, or a missing immunity would be great. Right now this isn't that bad since it has +6 speed on it along with all the rest of the stuff
              I was just pulling your leg --- that ring is crazy good and boosting CON is about the only thing it doesn't do!

Comment

• Zikke
                Veteran
                • Jun 2008

I'm used to playing casters where things like Dex and Str mean less, but since this is a rogue, I may keep this if there are no better rings (depending on how the randart RNG is to me). Having extra STR and DEX is nice for melee classes.

And *if* the breathe is unresistable, then even better.

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

I got this (super spiffy) randart ring on my new rogue, and it activates for Breathe elements. Is that resistable? How is the resist calculated?

Also, the description just says "allows you to breathe" and doesn't say "the elements". But in-game it says "the elements" when activated.

Code:
                  The Ring of Angwaelos (+6)
                       +6 strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, charisma, tunneling, 
                       speed.
                       Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, fear, light, 
                       dark, blindness, shards.
                       Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
                       Sustains intelligence, constitution.
                       Feather Falling.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to see
                       invisible things.  

When aimed, it allows you to breathe for 300 damage.
                       Takes 504 to 945 turns to recharge at your current speed.
                       Your chance of success is 85.8%
                  That's the Bladeturner randart. Can you generate the spoiler and tell me it's min and max depth? (It's generation chance is almost certainly 1.)
                  "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Zikke
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2008

How do I generate the spoiler without being at the tombstone screen?

edit: Nevermind, I backed up my savefile and committed suicide to generate the spoiler.

Min Level 91, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, 0.2 lbs
                    Last edited by Zikke; May 8, 2010, 20:31.

Comment

• Sirridan
                      Knight
                      • May 2009

Make a copy of your save file, kill yourself in the game (using your save file copy!), then keep playing with your new found spoiler.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Use wizard mode (ctrl-a) - but this marks the savefile as a cheater, so you probably want to use a backup anyway.

Min depth 91 isn't too bad. Bladeturner is 100 so it's pretty close. Very nice luck if you found it before 4550', not too bad otherwise. Of course the base item is a lot more common, so that helps. Plus the conversion from old style "1 in" rarities to new % alloc_prob is most destructive in this particular case, along with those of Feanor and Zarcuthra. Ho hum. Thanks for the info.
                        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎