Which Angband version (not variant) do you think is best?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Locaha
    Rookie
    • Jul 2024

Which Angband version (not variant) do you think is best?

I played a lot of Moria when I was a kid but never got very far, and recently felt compelled to play again. I've since discovered Angband and I've been reading up on it's history. The game has evolved, not even including variants, and many people have left their mark on the game. What does everyone think of all of the changes? Which version of Vanilla do you think is the best?
  • SmokedKobold
    Rookie
    • Jul 2024

I like the current build.

Comment

• mrfy
      Swordsman
      • Jul 2015

Current nightly build of vanilla. With selling turned off of course.

Comment

• Locaha
        Rookie
        • Jul 2024

Why do you prefer selling turned off?

Comment

• mrfy
          Swordsman
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Locaha
          Why do you prefer selling turned off?
          Less annoyance. Dragging loot back to town to try to sell it gets tedious. Plus, you get compensated by having larger $$ amounts of gold, silver, etc. left in the dungeon and in veins in the walls. Pretty quickly you get enough AU to buy anything you want.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by mrfy

Less annoyance. Dragging loot back to town to try to sell it gets tedious. Plus, you get compensated by having larger $$ amounts of gold, silver, etc. left in the dungeon and in veins in the walls. Pretty quickly you get enough AU to buy anything you want.
            i'm not sure why you people love this myth but at this point i'm just too tired to keep fighting it .. around DL45 it's not hard at all to quickly dip down in the dungeon and come out with 2/3 armours of resistance and a couple ego weapons, so if you can get 30k from just picking up coin drops, well done you.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• mrfy
              Swordsman
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Sky

i'm not sure why you people love this myth but at this point i'm just too tired to keep fighting it .. around DL45 it's not hard at all to quickly dip down in the dungeon and come out with 2/3 armours of resistance and a couple ego weapons, so if you can get 30k from just picking up coin drops, well done you.
              It's not a myth. Around DL45 I usually have all the gold I need.

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by mrfy

It's not a myth. Around DL45 I usually have all the gold I need.
                you do understand that this is NOT the same numerical value, yes? a vague "oh, i can buy all the CCW i want" is not the same as "i can buy as many 150k potions of experience as the BM can put out".
                "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

My vote is the current version, nightly of course.

Yay Nick! Nick for President!!!

I'm also a proponent of no-selling. I was skeptical at first, but a couple play-throughs was all it took to make a convert out of me. Reduced some of the tedium of playing the game, which ultimately increased my enjoyment.
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍