X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lugonn
    Rookie
    • Aug 2007

Dungeon Size ?

Many moons ago at Warwick when I first played Angband the dungeon size was a 3 x 3 (or maybe even 4 x 4 ) grid. Now after a break of several years I am getting back into Angband but find the dungeon size is reduced to a 2 x 2 grid, making the game significantly easier (IMO). I seem to recall that small levels was once a birth option, am I missing something ? or is there no way to get back large levels ?

Lugonn
  • Daven_26d1
    Adept
    • Jun 2007

Its 3x3 sectors, 0, 1, 2 = geek way of counting to 3.

Lots of people seem to feel the dungeon has shrank, but nobody is admitting to doing it.

If you are compiling from source, you could try changing the values for DUNGEON_HGT and DUNGEON_WID in defines.h to something larger, and recompiling; 88 and 220 might be nice values, respectively.
    You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
    The shopkeeper howls in agony!
    You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Bandobras
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Let me guess, you had 4 times smaller Angband window back then? We are talking about V, don't we?

Comment

• lugonn
        Rookie
        • Aug 2007

Yes we are talking about Vanilla, back then there were no variants
        Screen size may be to do with the feeling the dungeon has shrunk, back when I started playing at Warwick we used terminals which I guess were 14" at most and when I left and graduated onto a PC Angband ran in DOS and again it was a 14" monitor. Nowadays it's widescreen laptops and windows based so in theory you can fit much more dungeon on screen at once.
        However I am still only seeing a 2x2 sector dungeon 0 and 1 not 0, 1 and 2 so if you now a way of getting sectors 0, 1 and 2 without compiling from source (which I have never been able to manage) then please let me know.

Many thanks

Lugonn

Comment

• Bandobras
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I guess something like

export ANGBAND_X11_COLS_1=80
          export ANGBAND_X11_ROWS_1=24

before starting the executable should bring back the fond memories. (X11 only, curses should run like this by default, others I don't know)

Or just set it up resizing the window by hand, if it's possible.

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by lugonn
            Many moons ago at Warwick when I first played Angband the dungeon size was a 3 x 3 (or maybe even 4 x 4 ) grid. Now after a break of several years I am getting back into Angband but find the dungeon size is reduced to a 2 x 2 grid, making the game significantly easier (IMO). I seem to recall that small levels was once a birth option, am I missing something ? or is there no way to get back large levels ?
            As other people have said, you're just playing with a bigger screen. The levels are just as big as they used to be. (If you view in a 24x80 terminal, then it's 4x4; if you view on a widescreen 15" laptop monitor, you get 2x2 grids.)
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍