X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurie2000
    Rookie
    • Jan 2024

Borg gets stuck on no up staiscase here

Hi folks. So I thought I would try out the borg in 4.2.5. After about a minute the borg stops and loops no upstaircase here. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this please?
    Last edited by kurie2000; February 9, 2024, 00:11.
  • backwardsEric
    Knight
    • Aug 2019

A general workaround if the borg gets stuck is to press a key to interrupt it and then restart it by pressing 'ctrl-z' followed by 'z'. If it remains stuck after doing that, you could interrupt it again, save the game, and post the zipped or gzipped save file here: that might help diagnose what went wrong.

There's been several changes to borg since 4.2.5, but none explicitly mention resolving the situation you ran into. There was a bug fixed related to resetting the seed of the random number generator, but the typical symptom from that was getting stuck digging. The post 4.2.5 releases are available at https://github.com/angband/angband/releases .

Comment

• kurie2000
      Rookie
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by backwardsEric
      A general workaround if the borg gets stuck is to press a key to interrupt it and then restart it by pressing 'ctrl-z' followed by 'z'. If it remains stuck after doing that, you could interrupt it again, save the game, and post the zipped or gzipped save file here: that might help diagnose what went wrong.

There's been several changes to borg since 4.2.5, but none explicitly mention resolving the situation you ran into. There was a bug fixed related to resetting the seed of the random number generator, but the typical symptom from that was getting stuck digging. The post 4.2.5 releases are available at https://github.com/angband/angband/releases .
      If you press a key and interrupt than restart the borg, he goes right back to looking for stairs. The only way I found to fix this is to exit the entire program and restart it. After about one or two minutes of play, the borg repeats this looking for stairs behavior anyway though.

Here is my save file that you asked about.
      Attached Files

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

Running in either 4.2.5 or the latest post 4.2.5 release (both compiled from source on macOS with OPT="-O2 -DNDEBUG"), I have not seen the borg getting stuck looking for an up staircase with that save file. After loading the save file and restarting the borg, it proceeds to the nearby up staircase and trundles on for at least 15 minutes without getting stuck.

Comment

• kurie2000
          Rookie
          • Jan 2024

Running in either 4.2.5 or the latest post 4.2.5 release (both compiled from source on macOS with OPT="-O2 -DNDEBUG"), I have not seen the borg getting stuck looking for an up staircase with that save file. After loading the save file and restarting the borg, it proceeds to the nearby up staircase and trundles on for at least 15 minutes without getting stuck.

I wonder what could be wrong on my computer that would cause him to act like that?

Comment

• backwardsEric
            Knight
            • Aug 2019

Which OS and frontend are you using for Angband? We can hope this isn't the second hardware bug in less than a month (see https://angband.live/forums/forum/an...ability-issues ).

I also tried that save file with Angband 4.2.5's Windows release (running under wine in a Linux virtual machine), after turning off the sound option and restarting the borg, it played along till dying of poison.

Comment

• kurie2000
              Rookie
              • Jan 2024

Which OS and frontend are you using for Angband? We can hope this isn't the second hardware bug in less than a month (see https://angband.live/forums/forum/an...ability-issues ).

I also tried that save file with Angband 4.2.5's Windows release (running under wine in a Linux virtual machine), after turning off the sound option and restarting the borg, it played along till dying of poison.
              I seem to have figured it out. The issue appears to have been the size of the tiles I was using. When I changed them to 4x2 the borg runs great. He really stinks at playing, but he runs great.

Side note - why do these borgs have a fascination with suicide by lava in the town? Also they don't seem smart enough to feed themselves sometimes. More than once they have died of starvation when they had plenty of money to buy food in town. One even died on the town map of starvation. He just walked all around town until he fell over dead, even though he had 600 gold.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                Knight
                • Aug 2019

Originally posted by kurie2000
                I seem to have figured it out. The issue appears to have been the size of the tiles I was using. When I changed them to 4x2 the borg runs great. He really stinks at playing, but he runs great.
                That sounds like a bug in the borg's code. In case it matters, which tile set are you using?

Originally posted by kurie2000
                Side note - why do these borgs have a fascination with suicide by lava in the town? Also they don't seem smart enough to feed themselves sometimes. More than once they have died of starvation when they had plenty of money to buy food in town. One even died on the town map of starvation. He just walked all around town until he fell over dead, even though he had 600 gold.
                There's been a recent change to the borg that supposedly improves how it deals with lava. That can be found in the post 4.2.5 releases available at https://github.com/angband/angband/releases . None of the messages describing the changes since 4.2.5 mention correcting how the borg handles food.

Comment

• kurie2000
                  Rookie
                  • Jan 2024

That sounds like a bug in the borg's code. In case it matters, which tile set are you using?

I am using Shockbolts Dark tiles.

Comment

• kurie2000
                    Rookie
                    • Jan 2024

I've been testing the borg out for the past day some more, and the results are kind of disappointing. More than half of the borgs I create die of starvation. That should be the LAST thing a character ever dies of. I wish I knew more about programming so that I could tinker with the borg and see how I can help him be smarter about eating. It's disheartening to see the borg get to CLV 20 just to die of starvation.

The way I handled the lava deaths was to remove the | FIREY | flag from lava in the text file.

Comment

• agoodman
                      Adept
                      • Jan 2011

Hmm, somehow I missed this post. I am not clear if you are running on the latest release or the latest code complied from source. The borg code is in a constant state of flux. The initial release was very preliminary. Basically the initial was "it runs? Doesn't break the base game? Good enough to start". There were lots of problems with things like lava (a new thing to borgs) and how to track what bonuses are on items. I have changed a bunch around starvation issues, particularly tracking what sort of food "counts". It is all still work in progress and contributions are welcome.

I will check into the Slackbolt tiles. I thought all of the tile dependency had been coded out but I haven't poked too hard at that code.

BTW I agree that the borg is stupid. The code is also a mess in several areas. The product of having a bunch of maintainers who mostly were doing fast and dirty fixes and not really going back and reorganizing when base code changed. I am trying to clean things up and organize things so more people feel comfortable changing things. It is more important to me that the next guy has a good base to start with than making the borg smarter.

Comment

• agoodman
                        Adept
                        • Jan 2011

I downloaded the save and the release level code and this save quickly ran into the "repeated command" bug (where I was resetting the RNG so if the borg repeated a command, like opening a stuck door so it tried 100 times, it would always fail if it failed the first time). Hopefully some of the issues you are running into are fixed in later code.
                        When I tried having tiles on the screen quickly went wonky. I may be doing something wrong... It seemed to run the same but the display was terrible.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎