X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whelk
    Adept
    • Jun 2007

Playing via SSH

We've got several computers here at home, and my wife is constantly needing to use different ones for different tasks and kicking me off (despite all my efforts to get her to consolidate everything to her laptop). I put the Windows version of Angband onto a USB stick and would partially get around the problem that way, but it's troublesome when it comes to my preferred Ubuntu machine, as it's obviously not running Windows.

Today I tried playing via SSH, hosting Angband 3.0.9 on my Ubuntu server. Yay, now I can play the same character even when I'm not at home and forgot my USB stick. It works for the most part, but there are a few quirks, and I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on how to solve them.

1. The biggest issue is that the Escape key doesn't seem to register much of the time. I'll have to press it several times or hold it down to exit stores, menus and such.

2. Running doesn't work by holding down the Shift key and pressing a keypad direction. I can use the Run key and then enter a direction, but that's an extra keystroke I don't want to have to use.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm new(ish) to SSH, so I might not be aware of some of its quirks.
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Whelk
    1. The biggest issue is that the Escape key doesn't seem to register much of the time. I'll have to press it several times or hold it down to exit stores, menus and such.

2. Running doesn't work by holding down the Shift key and pressing a keypad direction. I can use the Run key and then enter a direction, but that's an extra keystroke I don't want to have to use.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm new(ish) to SSH, so I might not be aware of some of its quirks.
    1. This is a standard part of all curses (terminal-based) programs (GCU uses curses). However, if you use the backtick/tilde key just below escape (on many keyboards) that *also* works as escape and has no delay. I like that key because it's a little bit closer and use it even in X11.

2. This is unavoidable. In curses the shift key can only modify keys which have modifiers (e.g. not the arrow keys). So unfortunately you're going to be stuck with the dot.
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Whelk
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

Thanks, d_m. The tilde key works great, and as far as running, I'll just set up some macros. Problems solved.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎