X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJA
    Adept
    • Aug 2007

Feature Request: Optionally persistent dungeon levels

Some say this is not *band like, but some *bands (Entro/Heng) have this.

I love to explore the levels of a dungeon and learn to know them - getting always new levels is irritating and frustrating. For me at least

It also is the one and only thing i liked at Nethack and consorts ... why not dig this water away?
    Currently there does no *band seem to exist that is still maintained and worked on that offers persistent levels.

The right moment to include them in Vanilla
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by TJA
    The right moment to include them in Vanilla
    They're not going to be in V, no. Sorry.
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Sorry buddy, but I think it's time you got the message. Angband does not have persistent levels. Never has, never will. If you want persistent levels, you need a different game.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• TJA
        Adept
        • Aug 2007

Sad thing, takkaria :-(
        Of course i understand that Vanilla is conservative in getting additional options from variants. *sob*
        Needed to try

Now a comment to that nice reply from Magnat:

Magnat, great to hear that from you!
        You DID read that Hengband and Entroband have it?
        Thanx for your valuable comment!
        I love that ...

Comment

• Fuma
          Adept
          • May 2007

But we're talking about Angband here. Aaaaaaand, guess what? Hengband/Entroband != Angband. Hence: different game.

Also, I'm no coder, but for someone who knows what he's doing, making persistent levels shouldn't take more than 2M turns. You could name your variant PermAngband or sth.
          www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

• TJA
            Adept
            • Aug 2007

Then i am sorry - for me all *bands are ONE game, just different variants, and so i understood you wrong.
            Sorry!
            Maybe my other reply to you was more also a bit too agressive because of that ...

I have no idea how much work it would be to implement presistend levels, but it would be not enough reason to start my own variant

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by TJA
              Sad thing, takkaria :-(
              Of course i understand that Vanilla is conservative in getting additional options from variants. *sob*
              Needed to try
              No, you didn't need to try. You already mentioned it in several different threads, and got told in those that it's a no-go. That was my point.
              Now a comment to that nice reply from Magnat:

Magnat, great to hear that from you!
              You DID read that Hengband and Entroband have it?
              Thanx for your valuable comment!
              I love that ...
              I'm sorry, my post was nastier than I intended. I was having a really bad day, and I got pissed off with you bleating about persistent levels AGAIN when I should have ignored it. It really isn't a big deal, but for what it's worth, yes, I know they exist in Entro and Heng, and in Nethack and other roguelikes. But they have never been in Angband (a.k.a. Vanilla Angband), and they never will be. So maybe we can stop discussing it now?

Thanks,

CC
              "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎