X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karmarig
    Rookie
    • Aug 2007

Easy question from a newb

Hey all. Just started playing not too long ago, so am still relatively new to Angband and all the features it has. My question is probably pretty simple, but I have yet to find the answer anywhere even after doing some google trolling.

I'm currently playing a priest. If my armor gets too heavy, I get a 'The weight of your armor encumbers your movement' notification. How do I know my armor weight maximum before it starts to encumber me? I'm sure there is some formula.
  • Karmarig
    Rookie
    • Aug 2007

Wait a sec. I just read the magic spoiler. It says that the maximum weight of armor worn for a priest is 350 lbs. That can't be right, can it? I mean, the heaviest chest piece I've seen is like, 30ish pounds. How can they say that the maximum is 10 times that? Surely, they mean 35.0 lbs, right?

Comment

• Kav
      Scout
      • Jun 2007

I think what that spoiler is referring to is the total of all your armor together. Even then I still don't think you could get it up that high, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The amount of armor you can wear before it starts to affect your spell points (The weight of your armor encumbers your movement) I believe is determined by strength and clvl(character level). By armor it is referring to the sum of everything you are wearing, not including your mele/shooting weapons. Just stay away from really heavy pieces that aren't even enchanted and you shouldn't have much trouble avoiding your weight limit. I don't usually bother with main armor that's >15lbs that isn't an artifact. Don't get a big heavy shield, they go up in weight without going up much in AC fast. Stick with leather gloves/boots/helmets until you start finding good stuff with resists on it.

I follow those guidelines on my mages and they don't have any weight problems till I start finding stuff like The Full Plate Armour of Isildur weighing 30lbs which resists all the elements, confusion, sound, AND nexus so I just HAVE to wear it. Since my mages only have about 12 strength, and I know priests can have more strength than mages, follow these guidelines and you should be ok.

Comment

• Faust
        Adept
        • Apr 2007

for priests & mages the maximum armour weight (total of all worn armour) is 35.0lb after this it starts to affect the amount of SP you have. Strength & Clvl aren't taken into account if i rember correctly, it's a fixed pentalty to stop spell casters pretending the're warriors.

Comment

• Karmarig
          Rookie
          • Aug 2007

Nice. Thanks for the responses. After some trial and error, I did find that 35.0 lb rule to be true, regardless of character level and strength. For mages, I believe its 30.0 lbs. Thanks though! Appreciate the help.

Comment

• Kav
            Scout
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Faust
            for priests & mages the maximum armour weight (total of all worn armour) is 35.0lb after this it starts to affect the amount of SP you have. Strength & Clvl aren't taken into account if i rember correctly, it's a fixed pentalty to stop spell casters pretending the're warriors.

It's not doing a very good job lol
            I haste self for +24 speed, activate my shield for berserking, and use the occasional !heroism ?holyChant and I mele Ancient dragons to death in a few turns losing little health. I think that sword is better than Calris after I had it uncursed and got 4 blows/turn off it with my last mele mage

I didn't mean for it to turn out like this, but how do you turn down that armor when it has all those resists?! Then I had to wear Zarcuthra purely for the STR bonus so that I could carry the armor around without -4 speed! I didn't learn of it's destructive power even with just 1 blow/turn till I mele'd some odd unique to death with it. I've since found a bunch of +speed and enough !strength that it all balances out. Then somewhere along the line I got too many !dexterity and suddenly had 3 blows/round with a 25lbs sword. My spells are now reduced to utility status for stun so that I can mele with impunity.

How come my warriors and priests never find this kind of loot?

Comment

• Hugo
              Scout
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Karmarig
              Wait a sec. I just read the magic spoiler. It says that the maximum weight of armor worn for a priest is 350 lbs. That can't be right, can it? I mean, the heaviest chest piece I've seen is like, 30ish pounds. How can they say that the maximum is 10 times that? Surely, they mean 35.0 lbs, right?
              Hi Karmarig,

You're right, I goofed when writing that part of the spoiler.

Weight is interanally represented in-game in units of 0.1 pound, so that 30 lbs chest piece you saw is represented by the number 300 in the game. When writing this piece of the spoiler, I must have forgotten to divide all numbers by 10.

Apologies for the confusion caused. I will of course correct this in a future version of the spoilers. (Oh, and if you, or anyone, ever finds anything else in the spoiler that you don't believe, feel free to mail me directly at the address indicated in the spoiler files).
              Best, Hugo

--
              Angband spoilers - now updated for Angband 3.0.8 !!!!!
              Visit http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/index.htm
              --

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡