X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

Why descend? Why not go up

Let's reconsider the notion that we always have to descend into the dungeon in this game. Why can't we go up like in a tower in Final Fantasy? All the best villains have towers of some sort. Is there no tower because Morgoth is afraid of heights? Does he need rFear? Or is it because there is no damsel in distress in this game, which is usually a prerequisite for towers.

(this is a satire on the recent flurry of posts calling into question some of the most established and basic elements of the game )
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
  • Marble Dice
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2008

It's because the the elves have been developing WMD in secret, and Angband is Morgoth's fall-out shelter.

Comment

• Nolendil
      Adept
      • May 2007

btw, I think you can climb towers in CthAngband (and probably other variants)
      A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
      A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
      C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• Rizwan
        Swordsman
        • Jun 2007

Well it could also be because its the pits of Angband and not the heights of Angband
        edited for spelling mistake in heights
        Last edited by Rizwan; June 9, 2009, 18:27.

Comment

• bio_hazard
          Knight
          • Dec 2008

also trapdoors and rings of feather falling would require some adjustment

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
            also trapdoors and rings of feather falling would require some adjustment
            Actually, trap doors are nastier when you are going up, because they act like a "snake", not a "ladder."

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

Feather Falling would be like a Recall

And "The Heights of Angband" kinda sounds like a ritzy condo development rather than a sinister dungeon. Guess that answers that question (I bet Morgoth charges a lot for "Common Area Maintenance" fees...)
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Cauldron
                Apprentice
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                Actually, trap doors are nastier when you are going up, because they act like a "snake", not a "ladder."
                The main problem with trapdoors is that they drop you to a tougher level with no means of rapid failsafe escape or ascent.
                I miss autoscum... but not that much.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

The main problem with trap doors is that they can sometimes steal loot from you if you forget to detect after fighting trap-setting monsters or while clearing a vault as a non-mage-caster.

Descending a level is a feature of trap doors, not a risk. (Being 1 level deeper should never cause you much added difficulty, with a possible exception for weaker characters at dl.)

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎