Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdermyer
    Apprentice
    • Jul 2007

Lucky. We just have nethack/rogue on ipod touch/phone. The use a "gesture" system where you swipe your finger to do the commands, but I like the virtual keyboard. It's confusing, and I have to learn a new game and new commands. I'd rather just learn new commands.

Comment

• s0be
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2008

Silly response here... I went to install Angband on my android, and at the security screen it warned of needing internet access. What do you use that for? It doesn't seem like angband should require it.

Comment

• rdermyer
        Apprentice
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by retrobits
        3) Transparent keyboard overlaying the whole landscape fullscreen.
        I had just thought of this one and then noticed that I was not the first. Oh well, it's a really good idea, and I think one of the most feasible, screen-real-estate-wise and keyboard-use-wise

Comment

• retrobits
          Scout
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by s0be
          Silly response here... I went to install Angband on my android, and at the security screen it warned of needing internet access. What do you use that for? It doesn't seem like angband should require it.
          The angband core does not require internet access. We use the internet in the android app to gather stats about usage, os and hardware versions, and error reports. The purpose is to help us make the app better by getting the most feedback possible. We use the Flurry Analytics service to gather this data. The app is open source, so all the details of how we use the internet is visible in the code at our project page http://code.google.com/p/angdroid/

Comment

• retrobits
            Scout
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rdermyer
            I had just thought of this one and then noticed that I was not the first. Oh well, it's a really good idea, and I think one of the most feasible, screen-real-estate-wise and keyboard-use-wise
            yeah, I think it could work well. David is experimenting with this one, as he has a Nexus S.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

yeah, I think it could work well. David is experimenting with this one, as he has a Nexus S.
              Nexus spider? Is it poisonous? Do you feed it with grasshoppers or what? Can I have one?

Comment

• GreyWolf
                Rookie
                • Dec 2010

FYI, for Samsung Epic 4G owners, this version has improved display/font support for hi-res WVGA devices. Best looking mobile Angband ever I think. And since one of the devs (*ahem*) has an Epic there's a handy undocumented feature: the Emoticon key is mapped to the Control key.
                I have an Epic 4g and this looks amazing on it!
                Any chance of getting tilesets and/or variants as "plugins"?
                Also any suggestions for moving on the diagonals with the Epic keyboard? Im mostly playing in landscape with the HW keyboard out, but the arrow keys dont inlcude the diagonals.

Thanks for the awesome version!
                -Greywolf
                It points at you, screaming the word DIE!
                Your resist the effects!

Comment

• retrobits
                  Scout
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GreyWolf
                  Also any suggestions for moving on the diagonals with the Epic keyboard? Im mostly playing in landscape with the HW keyboard out, but the arrow keys dont inlcude the diagonals.
                  switch to roguelike keyset!

as far as variants go, I have ToME and Sangband working as plugins but keep getting distracted with more basic stuff that needs to be done (like adding virtual keyboard, etc). Hopefully not too much longer and we can release more variants.

Comment

• s0be
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 2008

The angband core does not require internet access. We use the internet in the android app to gather stats about usage, os and hardware versions, and error reports. The purpose is to help us make the app better by getting the most feedback possible. We use the Flurry Analytics service to gather this data. The app is open source, so all the details of how we use the internet is visible in the code at our project page http://code.google.com/p/angdroid/
                    Perfect answer, thanks!

Comment

• retrobits
                      Scout
                      • Dec 2008

new beta test binaries: 3.2.0 plus ToME and Sangband

I just uploaded two new binaries for beta testing,

Angband-r136.apk which is based on the newly released Angband 3.2.0

-- and --

AngbandVariants-r136.apk which contains ToME 2.3.5 and Sangband 1.0.0 lf3.

you can download them from here http://code.google.com/p/angdroid/downloads/list

Please let me know how these work for you. We would like to get some good interactive feedback for any issues before releasing to the market.

Also beware that I've not tested upgrading from our 3.1.2v2 releases. If anyone would be willing to test this I would be very grateful. Make sure you backup your Angband save file first (/sdcard/Android/data/org.angdroid.angband/files/lib/save).

Comment

• retrobits
                        Scout
                        • Dec 2008

new test binaries r184

I just uploaded new binaries for beta testing. Upgrading from a 3.1.2v2.* release is now supported. Also, hardware key mapping can now be configured in Preferences. Control and Shift modifiers affect screen taps and the center screen tap is configurable. The 3.2.0 borg is also included from Andrew White.

Angband-r184.apk (Angband 3.2.0, 3.0.6, 2.4.frog-knows, Umoria 5.5.2, and Rogue Clone IV)
                        AngbandVariants-r184.apk (ToME 2.3.5, Sangband 1.0.0 lf3, and Steamband 0.4.1f)

you can download them from here http://code.google.com/p/angdroid/downloads/list

We would like to get some good interactive feedback before releasing to the market.

Comment

• Netbrian
                          Adept
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                          Nexus spider? Is it poisonous? Do you feed it with grasshoppers or what? Can I have one?
                          Yes, it's poisonous -- if it bites you, it'll scramble your stats.

Comment

• tprice
                            Adept
                            • Jun 2008

I just uploaded new binaries for beta testing. Upgrading from a 3.1.2v2.* release is now supported. Also, hardware key mapping can now be configured in Preferences. Control and Shift modifiers affect screen taps and the center screen tap is configurable. The 3.2.0 borg is also included from Andrew White.

We would like to get some good interactive feedback before releasing to the market.
                            Does it upgrade from the Jan. Beta ok? I have a level 26 half troll warrior that has been doing well this week.

I'm playing on my htc/tmobil G2 slider phone since I found the port this past Sat. I have most of a full keyboard so can play with a good font size in landscape mode, I just miss the keys for stairs... the enter key accessed menu works well enough for that.

Thomas Price
                            Aka the bookworm.

Comment

• retrobits
                              Scout
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tprice
                              Does it upgrade from the Jan. Beta ok?
                              The original save should be untouched by the upgrade. It will be copied to a new folder and 3.2.0 will attempt to load it.
                              But its always best to backup your save which would be located at /sdcard/Android/data/org.angdroid.angband/files/lib/save
                              also, if you want to uninstall and go back to the Jan Beta that should work too.

Originally posted by tprice
                              ...G2 slider phone.... I just miss the keys for stairs...
                              with this newest beta you can remap any keys you want. For example you can remap the www/com button to < and >. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Comment

• tprice
                                Adept
                                • Jun 2008

The original save should be untouched by the upgrade. It will be copied to a new folder and 3.2.0 will attempt to load it.
                                But its always best to backup your save which would be located at /sdcard/Android/data/org.angdroid.angband/files/lib/save
                                also, if you want to uninstall and go back to the Jan Beta that should work too.
                                The upgrade didn't go smoothly. I got an unable to find \lib\ type error when starting Angband since the new version uses \libangband320\ instead. Ended up having to do an uninstall and then reinstalled the new code. It worked fine after that and i was able to copy over my backed up save file and keep on playing fine.

with this newest beta you can remap any keys you want. For example you can remap the www/com button to < and >. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
                                The remapping of the www button to < and > worked great. And i remapped the hardware search button to Ctr so i can use the ctrl codes again as well. MUCH improves the playability!

Thomas Price
                                aka The Bookworm

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡