X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • relientKitten
    Rookie
    • Jun 2009

Stupid ghouls.

I watched myself get clawed from max HP to nothing, guess I'll learn about paying attention to what I'm standing next to. Had been watching for FA items in town and had no luck so far, sigh.

Any suggestions on where I was? With my lovely shortbow I'd been pretending I was a ranger for the last 10 or so DLevels. My understanding is that after 1500' the hounds become less common and stat-boosting becomes the short-term goal, correct? Based on Thangorodrim, I really shouldn't have been without FA that low in the dungeon, bleh.

I've been playing Angband off and on for years but never very seriously. Now I feel the desire to kill Morgoth and take his crown.
    A(3.1.0b) D "Liana" HEW L:27 DL:29 A R-- !Sp w:Spear of Flame (+3, +6) and The Shortbow of Amrod
    A V H- D- c? f PV s d P++ M+
    C/-- S-- I So- B-- ac- !GHB SQ !RQ V F:Phial before L20
  • Nile
    Scout
    • Jul 2008

That's quite an impressive kit considering your dlev. Some comments (even though your dead):

1. With that amount of health and that kit though, you should be at least at dlev 40; you'll find FA much easier there.
    2. Don't sweat no FA, just watch the ghouls (as you found out!), carrion crawlers, and I think illusionists. (My last winner went as far as dlev 45 without FA.)
    3. Stat gain...meh, grab them when you can, but don't sweat those either. Seriously, after you get basic resists, rpois, FA, see invisible, some speed, and at least 300 hp, keep diving till you hit dlev 98.
    4. Until you get rPoison, be on high alert for drolems and ancient greens.
    5. The ring of damage is better than the ring of protection.
    6. No speed pots?
    7. No pots of cure critical wounds??????

Good luck on the next one!

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

That's nice, aggressive, play--running into a ghoul is just modestly bad luck.

Your real trouble is that you couldn't detect; fix this by playing a Rogue or Ranger, or by carrying Detect Evil and any Rods of Light & Illumination you come across.

Comment

• relientKitten
        Rookie
        • Jun 2009

I'm still in quasi-exploration mode, mostly because my old method before reading these forums more recently was of search every nook and cranny of every level and die stupidly somewhere around level 10 (if I even got that far).

I had just used the last of my CCW and was heading the the stairs about 10 squares south to dive before recalling when I saw a dagger that I hadn't IDd yet and got greedy. It was being guarded by ghouls.

I've had paralysis on occassion from a few things, but I'd been lucky and in corridors and therefore wasn't being swarmed so it'd wear off and I'd have time to tele out of there; not the case this time.

I'm still learning what to watch for in 7; Detect Evil will have to go on the list.
        A(3.1.0b) D "Liana" HEW L:27 DL:29 A R-- !Sp w:Spear of Flame (+3, +6) and The Shortbow of Amrod

Comment

• relientKitten
          Rookie
          • Jun 2009

Alright, so back into the fray after three more deaths tonight and this one is starting to look good. No arts yet, but I know they're coming... I can taste it.

I'm down to DL28/29 or so, I don't remember exactly. I'd rather equip the Slay Evil but this lovely blessed weapon gave me ESP so it'll be crappy damage for awhile, I'm afraid. The sandals were a present from DL4, RNG's way of apologizing for crummy gear in past games, methinks.

I'm debating between the Robe of Resistance and the Elvenkind. It seems to me that the robe is better for being lighter, one more point of AC, and no -toHit. Only thing the Elvenkind gives is the rLight which I have innately as a HElf. Is there a reason I'm overlooking to wear the Elvenkind instead?

Getting ready to go hit 7; I could use something better in the bow/helm/amulet slots.

-----

GRAAAAAAAH! Everything was going SO WELL! I diagonal around a corner while fighting a werewolf and "The Drolem breathes gas.The Werewolf dies. You die." !@#%$ Sigh.

Last edited by relientKitten; June 2, 2009, 11:35.

Comment

• aeneas
            Adept
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
            That's nice, aggressive, play--running into a ghoul is just modestly bad luck.

Your real trouble is that you couldn't detect; fix this by playing a Rogue or Ranger, or by carrying Detect Evil and any Rods of Light & Illumination you come across.
            I'm still playing an older version, but- ghasts are still evil, right? Running into a carrion crawler is bad luck, but... if you lack FA at ghoul depth you had better be detecting evil. Even warriors can easily carry that staff... and they had better.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

The elvenkind gives +3 stealth -- I value that over the rest of the minor differences.

Comment

• Marble Dice
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2008

Maybe you already know this, but that rLight on the elvenkind was a randomly generated resist. It could have been something more useful, like rConf, rPois, rNexus, or rNether. Doesn't help any for that specific armor, but it's good to pay attention to Elvenkinds and other egos with random properties.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎