• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClaytonAguiar
    Scout
    • May 2009

Feature request: Price in description

Hi,

Recently, weapon descriptions gained damage information in a simple way. It's really useful, even with some people claiming this "exposes" something related to the gameplay itself (try, evaluate and discover which one is the "better" weapon).

Why not add to the description the selling price (or the rough price, without shopkeeper or charisma modifiers). This price could be adjusted by some INT or WIS modifier, to simulate the "Appraise" skill found in RPG's.

Many players here like the Ironman mode, or prefer to use the items they find instead of the ones in the shops (specially the black market). I, on opposite, collect good (and excellent, later in the game) items to sell and make money to buy at the black market.

What would this feature help: whenever in doubt on which of the items are the most valuable to sell, get a reasonable idea.

Hope I made it clear.
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by ClaytonAguiar
    Hope I made it clear.
    You did. It wouldn't be difficult to do, but it was asked for by someone else recently, and ISTR that Takkaria said something along the lines of "over my dead body". So that's that then, really. Sorry.
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• s0be
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
      You did. It wouldn't be difficult to do, but it was asked for by someone else recently, and ISTR that Takkaria said something along the lines of "over my dead body". So that's that then, really. Sorry.
      You also have to remember that, you only have to know a small amount about the pricing structure to quickly 'know' which is the better item to keep for selling purposes. By the time you have to start looking up price modifiers and crap, it's quite likely that A: you have enough money it doesn't make a huge difference when it's 11k vs 12k and B: most of the stuff you intend to sell will go for more than the shopkeeper will have to pay you. I've patched my version to try price available in the 'info' of an item, and found these 2 things to be true. The early game where it'll make a small difference, you really just need to remember which items are the valuable ones (base value), and know what each +x adds to value, and what the more valuable egos are.

Comment

• ClaytonAguiar
        Scout
        • May 2009

Just to clarify

Hi,

I get your opinions, and they make sense (even Takkaria's ). I just think the average damage is an in-game spoiler, as it exposes probing data. The average price, adjusted or not by the player INT (to simulate an appraisal) can be easily done with a simple notepad.

The idea was give an easy way to compare different classes of items. For example, a rod of recall and a blessed blade, a DSM or a wand of acid balls.

Whether the gold matters or not: I found boots of speed (+3) - yes, "just" +3 - for around 400K or 500K gp in the black market. Thus, "optimizing" the budget (leaving behind more expensive items and bringing up cheaper ones just due to a mistake) does affect the gameplay.

No problems for getting a "no, sorry", it was just an idea.

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Hi,

I get your opinions, and they make sense (even Takkaria's ). I just think the average damage is an in-game spoiler, as it exposes probing data. The average price, adjusted or not by the player INT (to simulate an appraisal) can be easily done with a simple notepad.
          The average damage of a weapon provided by the game can always be calculated by the player given what you already know about a weapon. It takes a bit of effort and is a bit annoying, but is pretty essential to actually making a good decision over what weapon to use. In that sense, I don't think the damage provided is a spoiler.

Item prices are somewhat different; they will sell to different shopkeepers for different amounts and be sold at different prices, too, depending on your charisma and the individual shopkeeper. Given the information the game gives you upfront, there is no fixed way to calculate the cost of an item. Generally speaking, you can figure out which ones will sell for more than others if you pay attention when you sell, but there's nothing inherently fixed about the price or the cost of an item.

That said, it's not anything related to spoiler-yness that I'm worried about; it's more that it's a pretty massive step toward the idea that you should be filling your inventory with stuff you don't need in order to have enough money to buy stuff better than what you find in the dungeon from the BM. I'm trying to angle gameplay far more toward using what you find in the dungeon and not worrying about buying stuff other than consumables, and from that perspective, it makes no sense for me to put an appraisal of an object's worth in its 'i'nspection screen. Not necessarily because if I put it in now it won't be useful, but more that once such a feature is in, it will never go away.
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• bio_hazard
            Knight
            • Dec 2008

Sounds like the developers have spoken, but just to add my 2 cents:

It would be cool to have a store memory- don't worry about INT modified appraisal, but something like:

You've sold a similar item for X gold
            You've seen this item for sale for Y gold
            You have no knowledge of this item's value

I'm less concerned about the exact value I'll receive, but more interested in whether that ring or staff is 150g or 1500g

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Hi,

The idea was give an easy way to compare different classes of items. For example, a rod of recall and a blessed blade, a DSM or a wand of acid balls.

Whether the gold matters or not: I found boots of speed (+3) - yes, "just" +3 - for around 400K or 500K gp in the black market. Thus, "optimizing" the budget (leaving behind more expensive items and bringing up cheaper ones just due to a mistake) does affect the gameplay.

No problems for getting a "no, sorry", it was just an idea.
              I think you're playing an old version then - newer trunk versions have dramatically reduced the price of low-pval speed boots (too much, according to some people).

FWIW, the price of a weapon is *directly* related to its damage output - so that gives you a handy guide all on its own. Weapons with more dice / plusses / slays / brands will sell for more than weapons with fewer of those things. Unfortunately it's a little harder to guess the prices of nonweapons though.
              "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• bebo
                Adept
                • Jan 2009

I must say that i'm against this proposal: adding essential info in a clear way greatly improves the game (like the avg damage/blow line), adding fairly unuseful info just adds clutter and worsens readability.
                My first winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8681
                And my second! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8872
                And the third! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9452
                And the fourth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10513
                And the fifth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10631
                And the sixth! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10990

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘