X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sirridan
    Knight
    • May 2009

TANG - Community Project

Would anyone be interested in creating a new TANG (The Angband Newbie Guide), or does one already exist for current Vanilla?

If not, I'd like to propose a couple of us throw in some of our experience, ideas, etc into a new version to help the new and old alike.

Would anyone be interested in contributing to this?
  • Cauldron
    Apprentice
    • May 2009

I'll assist. I'm an excellent editor and proofreader. Willing to fact-check as well, though I cannot wade through the source for the ultimate truthiness.

I suppose I can also type up a section, too. In my copious free time.

-P
    I miss autoscum... but not that much.

Comment

• Nolendil
      Adept
      • May 2007

Nice idea.
      I've been a newbie to Angband for more than 10 years but I'm not sure this is desirable to contribute
      I can help with proofreading too anyway.
      A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
      A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
      C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• Sirridan
        Knight
        • May 2009

I'm thinking of things like tactics, levels to know, monsters to watch for and their depths, etc. Mostly a lot of this is found here, or found out by experience... Even if you think you're a noob (Like me) I think anyone can have something valuable to contribute, even an anecdotes segment. Also this should be fact-checked by people, and can be corrected and it can evolve over time.

But yeah, a lot of info and experience and advice out there, it would be good to shove it in one space I think

Comment

• Donald Jonker
          Knight
          • Jun 2008

Perhaps a more realistic way to begin would be just to "correct" the previous newbie guide, rather than attempt to write a new one from scratch. A good deal of it is fine, after all.

The most egregious error in it is "On Important Depths" section. I wager just about everybody playing is tainted by the mindset espoused in that part. Nope, we need someone to set the record straight. Someone who's a real pro, a "diver," who's written extensively on all this before...

Hey, there goes Eddie!

And then you'd have to convince Takkaria to replace the old one so that newbies actually read it.
          Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
          -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Nolendil
            Adept
            • May 2007

Ouch, I though the "On Important Depths" section was still applicable ^^'
            A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)

Comment

• Donald Jonker
              Knight
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Nolendil
              Ouch, I though the "On Important Depths" section was still applicable ^^'
              There's nothing technically wrong about that section - those breakpoints are indeed the levels where resists come in handy - it's just downright counterproductive to wait around for them instead of continuing on. If you wait, you're far more likely to die from an OOD monster, especially since you're given the illusion of safety. Items which give resists also typically come deeper than the breakpoints. Detect & avoid is much more important than having any given resistance.
              Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
              -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Sirridan
                Would anyone be interested in creating a new TANG (The Angband Newbie Guide), or does one already exist for current Vanilla?

If not, I'd like to propose a couple of us throw in some of our experience, ideas, etc into a new version to help the new and old alike.

Would anyone be interested in contributing to this?
                Perhaps anyone interested should contribute to http://rephial.org/wiki/UserManual instead? It's the modern replacement for TANG.
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nolendil
                  Adept
                  • May 2007

Thanks for the precisions, Donald.

Magnate, great
                  However, this wiki would need to be advertised more.

Comment

• Sirridan
                    Knight
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Nolendil
                    Thanks for the precisions, Donald.

Magnate, great
                    However, this wiki would need to be advertised more.
                    Oh neat, I did not know there was a Wiki, thanks for pointing that out!

I'll add to it when I can.

Comment

• PaulBlay
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sirridan
                      Oh neat, I did not know there was a Wiki
                      On a similar note, Google searching on "Angband SVN" does not find you Angband SVN. I would like to encourage people to plaster "Angband" "SVN", "Subversion" and / or "repository" with links to http://trac.rephial.org/browser/trunk on suitable webpages.
                      Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• Dark
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
                        Perhaps anyone interested should contribute to http://rephial.org/wiki/UserManual instead? It's the modern replacement for TANG.

going from the Angband artical on Wikipedia, that was how I first discovered the game myself, and that wiki was the first manual i read.

I therefore think additions of strategical information and other tips there would be a great thing, as it's the most obvious place for new players to look, ------ or at least it was for me.

while it's a very nice topical guide, some strategical info about where to start expecting elemental attacks, which items may be sold economically, ----- one thing I have endless trouble with and one reason I like Daaj so much, sinse with the nosale patch I don't have to carry around a bunch of random stuff in the hopes of making enough cash to improve my gear.

In fact generally any newby information or player tips from this forum or anywhere else contained there wuld be great.

It's very handy on linking to spoilers, ---- but personally as probably stil a newby despite about a month of playing, i find stratogy info more helpful than spoilage, ----- and besides, I'd rather actually read the monster descriptions and such for myself when i first encounter them in the dungeon, ----- though having a vague idea that I should be watching out for elemental attacks down here on this level, so not being totally unprepared would certainly be appreciated.

Comment

• Rizwan
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
                          Perhaps a more realistic way to begin would be just to "correct" the previous newbie guide, rather than attempt to write a new one from scratch. A good deal of it is fine, after all.
                          Perhaps add some of the very well written AARs found on this forum as an example of what to do and what not to do

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎