• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoyrexJ9
    Rookie
    • Jun 2007

Very strange fonts problem - Windows

Hi,

I've been playing V on/off for a long time, recently I fired it up after a long break from the game.

And my windows were blank!

I'm playing on Windows Vista and the problem seems to be down to the fonts.
    If I select '8x13.fon' for the window (which is the default of course) nothing appears - all I get is a black screen, If I choose '8x13b.fon' it works! This happens randomly across the font sizes, for example '9X15.FON' = blank, but '9X15b.FON' & '10X17.FON' works fine.

I also experience the problem covered by this thread - http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1686
    where occasionally Angband refuses to run, it appears in task manager "angband.exe" - but no window is visible

I can reproduce the problem on 3.0.9, 3.1.0-beta & the latest nightly build
    This is very strange. I'm on the latest version of my graphics card driver. I've never had this problem before in all my years of playing Angband

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JoyrexJ9; April 10, 2009, 11:32.
  • PaulBlay
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by JoyrexJ9
    Any thoughts?
    Reboot. There's a good chance that will fix it.
    Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• JoyrexJ9
      Rookie
      • Jun 2007

Well a reboot has fixed it, great!

There has to be some sort of bug here - related to the window not appearing bug, which is also fixed by a reboot.

Comment

• PaulBlay
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by JoyrexJ9
        There has to be some sort of bug here - related to the window not appearing bug, which is also fixed by a reboot.
        I think it's an issue relating to the way Windows handles fonts. IIRC some variant moved to .bmp files instead of .fon files for character display for just that reason.
        Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍