X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wisp
    Scout
    • Jul 2007

A Question on the various weapons...

Not being an old fan of Roguelikes... well... I 've liked Angband for several years, but I've had no experience beyoond that. How is weapon strength calculated. I've never been able to figure it out. Eg: You have a Whip (1d3) (+0,+0)

Also, how are *To Hit* Bonuses calculated. Thanks much.
    Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.
  • AR_chie
    Apprentice
    • May 2007

whip (1d3) (+0,+0) can damage monster in range from 1 to 3... there was a site with calculator for V weapons, but today I see 404 (Pav take a look at this).

Comment

• Daven_26d1
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Wisp
      Not being an old fan of Roguelikes... well... I 've liked Angband for several years, but I've had no experience beyoond that. How is weapon strength calculated. I've never been able to figure it out. Eg: You have a Whip (1d3) (+0,+0)

Also, how are *To Hit* Bonuses calculated. Thanks much.
      These types of values and notation are more of a generic RPG thing than something unique to roguelikes.
      For a better understanding of those values try pressing '?' within the game and actually reading the online help files... try the one called "attacking monsters".

Are you seriously telling me that in 'several years' you didn't bother to RTFM?!
      You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
      The shopkeeper howls in agony!
      You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Kav
        Scout
        • Jun 2007

The quick answer is one three-sided dice roll, with (+0 to-hit, and +0 to-damage)

Comment

• Wisp
          Scout
          • Jul 2007

Actually, I HAVE read the manual. *Gasp* So from what I gather, for, say, a 4d4 weapon, the CPU rolls 4 imginary 4 sided dies and adds the damage together. eg, max of 16 dm., minimum of 4. I'm assuming that Dam is mitigated by AC. That leaves my second question. How are the +To Hit Bonuses calculated. I'm assuming it adds a percentage of accuracy, but I don't know what that is.
          Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.

Comment

• pav
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AR_chie
            there was a site with calculator for V weapons, but today I see 404 (Pav take a look at this).
            Yup, it's gone. I just removed the link.
            See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• tigen
              Apprentice
              • May 2007

edit: nevermind
              Last edited by tigen; July 14, 2007, 02:12.

Comment

• Big Al
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2007

Hugo's spoilers site gives quite a detailed description on how +ToHit effects the chance of hitting:

(see the "CALCULATING THE PROBABILITY OF SUCCESSFULLY LANDING A BLOW" seciton)
                Come play Metroplexity!
                Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
                c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+

Comment

• Daven_26d1
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2007

whip (1d3) (+0,+0) can damage monster in range from 1 to 3... there was a site with calculator for V weapons, but today I see 404 (Pav take a look at this).
                  People would perhaps like one of these again? Can anyone tell me roughly what sort of interface was used and what kind of output was given; for instance did it break stuff down more completely, like in ToME, or was it just a min/max/average sort of affair? Was it spoiled?

I have not much to do next week and I might just be bored enough to get one up and riunning, assuming its desirable. I normally just work out damages etc in my head - comes with always having been the GM when I was younger!
                  You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
                  The shopkeeper howls in agony!
                  You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• takkaria
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Daven_26d1
                    People would perhaps like one of these again? Can anyone tell me roughly what sort of interface was used and what kind of output was given; for instance did it break stuff down more completely, like in ToME, or was it just a min/max/average sort of affair? Was it spoiled?
                    I'm not sure exactly what it was either, but yesterday I added some code to the next version of Angband (not the bugfix) so that examining an object tells you the average damage you'll get with it, complete with changes because of slays and such.

</advertising>
                    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• pav
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2007

It was written in Javascript, so completely client-side. You entered XdY (+a,+b), it calculated min, max and average. Quite simple script.

OTOH, don't let that get in your way of writing the ultimate damage calculator
                      See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Skeeblix
                        Rookie
                        • Jul 2007

Excellent idea. doing all the math in my head gets tedious after awhile. It'd be great to be able to get a look at the average damage done without having to calculate it out when there are things to be done and epic itamz to be got.

Comment

• AR_chie
                          Apprentice
                          • May 2007

BTW I have a question from the same format - when I wielding a weapon which causes for example fire damage and slay evil - against evil creature without fire proof which damage will be calculated?

quotation from spoiler:

Weapon of Burning
                          A magical weapon of fire that will inflict two times the normal
                          damage when used against a creature that is not resistant to fire.

Weapon of Slay Evil
                          This weapon is especially effective against evil creatures and will
                          do 1.7 times the normal damage against such creatures.

TIA

Comment

• Hugo
                            Scout
                            • Apr 2007

quotation from spoiler:

Weapon of Burning
                            A magical weapon of fire that will inflict two times the normal
                            damage when used against a creature that is not resistant to fire.

Weapon of Slay Evil
                            This weapon is especially effective against evil creatures and will
                            do 1.7 times the normal damage against such creatures.
                            What spoiler file did you read this in, and where did you find it? It's either seriously outdated, or for a variant. Current (mostly) spoiler files for vanilla can be found on my spoiler site; see my sig for the URL.

Anyway, to answer your question - in Vanilla, if more than one brand, slay, or *slay* applies, the highest damage multiplicator is used and the others are disregarded.
                            Best, Hugo

--
                            Angband spoilers - now updated for Angband 3.0.8 !!!!!
                            Visit http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/index.htm
                            --

Comment

• AR_chie
                              Apprentice
                              • May 2007

spoiler is from Z 2.7.2,

thx for answer

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰