X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slick
    Scout
    • Oct 2007

coupla questions on 3.1.0 beta

1) I found the Longbow of Bard. Nothing in the description says anything about slaying dragons, but when I look at my (normal) arrows while wielding Bard, they say that they do much more damage against dragons. What's happening here?

2) Does wearing a ring of Flame, Ice, Acid, etc. brand my weapon of the same attack? Nothing in the description says this, but some of the other posts here seem to imply this is true.

3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*. Which description is correct?

4) Is it a bug that recharging wands/staves no longer makes the number of charges unknown? Along the same lines, is it a bug that picking up a wand/staff of which you already have an identified one in your inventory causes the new one to stack and automatically identify its charges also?

5) There are a couple of new attributes under the character description screen, 2nd page. I don't have immediate access to the game as I write this, but I believe that they are "ImpHP" and "ImpSP". What are these?

Well that's more than a couple, but thanks in advance for any answers.
  • PaulBlay
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Slick
    3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*.
    I, for one, would consider that an acceptable occasion for using save file backups. The game is telling you two contradictory things, so you aren't gaining anything unfair by giving yourself the chance to find out if you can really unwield it safely.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your actual questions.
    Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

1) I found the Longbow of Bard. Nothing in the description says anything about slaying dragons, but when I look at my (normal) arrows while wielding Bard, they say that they do much more damage against dragons. What's happening here?
      2) Does wearing a ring of Flame, Ice, Acid, etc. brand my weapon of the same attack? Nothing in the description says this, but some of the other posts here seem to imply this is true.[/quote]

These two are known bugs--Bard does indeed slay dragons, and elemental rings do brand.

3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*. Which description is correct?
      Don't wear Calris--you can't remove heavy curses in 3.1.0. This will be fixed in 3.1.1.

4) Is it a bug that recharging wands/staves no longer makes the number of charges unknown? Along the same lines, is it a bug that picking up a wand/staff of which you already have an identified one in your inventory causes the new one to stack and automatically identify its charges also?
      None of these are bugs. 3.1.1 will make charges known without ID.

5) There are a couple of new attributes under the character description screen, 2nd page. I don't have immediate access to the game as I write this, but I believe that they are "ImpHP" and "ImpSP". What are these?
      The 'Imp' stands for 'impair'; they slow down the regeneration rates for HP and SP, respectively.
      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• tigpup
        Apprentice
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
        2) elemental rings do brand.
        Do they brand already branded egos and artifact weapons?

-Neil?

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by tigpup
          Do they brand already branded egos and artifact weapons?

-Neil?
          Yes. Any brands get carried across, but the multiplier is only applied once. e.g. ring of fire + acid-branded weapon will do 3x damage, from fire.

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
            Adept
            • Apr 2007

Yes. Any brands get carried across, but the multiplier is only applied once. e.g. ring of fire + acid-branded weapon will do 3x damage, from fire.
            Am I reading this right that if you are fighting something fire-resistant but not acid-resistant, wearing a Ring of Flames actually negates the acid brand on a weapon? (Why you'd do that I don't know, but it seems strange behaviour).

Comment

• tigpup
              Apprentice
              • Apr 2007

Understood.

This is nice. Makes for interesting ring/weapon choices, and Defender/Westy/Gondolin weapons much more useful in mid-game if res cover is needed. Helps to rebalance melee/launcher a bit. All this has probably been discussed in previous posts (before I started posting here).

Kudos.

_Neil

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Daniel Fishman
                Am I reading this right that if you are fighting something fire-resistant but not acid-resistant, wearing a Ring of Flames actually negates the acid brand on a weapon? (Why you'd do that I don't know, but it seems strange behaviour).
                No, in this case the acid would take effect—the fire brand wouldn't be applied.

Comment

• Slick
                  Scout
                  • Oct 2007

Do the ring brands apply to missile or thrown weapons too?

Comment

• takkaria
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2007

Do the ring brands apply to missile or thrown weapons too?
                    No, only to melee.

Comment

• UnseemlyWeasel
                      Rookie
                      • Jan 2009

About the longbow of Bard, what this may be is that, IIRC in The Hobbit, it was not the bow that was special, but the arrow "Black Arrow".

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
                        Adept
                        • Apr 2007

No, in this case the acid would take effect—the fire brand wouldn't be applied.
                        Good, that was what I thought, just the way you phrased your previous post seemed to indicate otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎