Clear All
  • s0be
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2008

Mumaks (Possible light spoiler)

Code:
    The Mumak  (Slate 'q')
    === Num:461  Lev:43  Rar:2  Spd:+0  Hp:90d10  Ac:55  Exp:2100
    A massive elephantine form with eyes twisted by madness.
    This natural creature is normally found on dungeon level 43, and moves at
    normal speed.  It can bash down doors.  It pays very little attention to
    intruders, which it may notice from 200 feet.  It usually appears in
    groups.  It can butt to attack with damage 4d6, butt to attack with damage
    4d6, and crush to attack with damage 4d4.
    These just don't seem to be worth the massive amount of experience they provide for their difficulty. Were they nerfed down a bit at some point, but did not have their experience lowered? 2100 is by no means a HUGE amount of XP, but at a max of 900HP (min 90HP), and a max damage per round of 64 (min 12), and not being that fast (easy to whack and back), I think 2100XP is just too much.
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

That would explain Sam Gamgee's fascination.

Comment

• rdermyer
      Apprentice
      • Jul 2007

Don't you that multiply the base (2100) by the native depth (43) and divide by your character level? I guess that would probably end up with me getting more than the 2100 points per kill since I normally kill mumaks before character level 43.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

There's nothing wrong with the occasional bag of experience on the way down. 2000 EXP isn't all that much for a cl40 character, but it can be a godsend at cl25. Later on, the chaos hound gives a similar big boost. I find it more tedious when such things are balanced away. Some things are worth killing and some are not.

Comment

• rdermyer
          Apprentice
          • Jul 2007

And wolves/white wolves early on.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

I think part of the art of playing these games is learning which monsters have a good xp/difficulty ratio and going for them when you see them.
            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Pete Mack
              There's nothing wrong with the occasional bag of experience on the way down. 2000 EXP isn't all that much for a cl40 character, but it can be a godsend at cl25. Later on, the chaos hound gives a similar big boost. I find it more tedious when such things are balanced away. Some things are worth killing and some are not.
              Things that are worth killing or not, should be based on your particular abilities, inventory, and style of play. Not on a poorly chosen XP number.

If you have a Holy Avenger, then Evil creatures would be your 'bag of experience'. If you're fast, then you would hunt for creatures of normal speed.

I'd almost agree with your 'occasional bag of XP' justification if 1) they were truly rare (as some artifacts are), and 2) there weren't ways to clone/farm them.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
              My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                Swordsman
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Zikke
                I think part of the art of playing these games is learning which monsters have a good xp/difficulty ratio and going for them when you see them.

Wait, we're supposed to pick and choose what evil we destroy? Shame on you sir, you are a hero! Destroy evil in ALL it's forms!

(Maybe that's why I've never managed to win)
                My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Bandobras
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Heh, then I start to understand _my_ failures, too. Hero or not, through the 15 years of Angband experience I was seen running away from lots of evil and I grudgingly learned to run away from some _before_ they can even see me. The most funny part: 10 first years were mostly hobbit mages in V, as stubborn as donkeys in their heroic attitudes. Finding an artifact was always a celebration.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎