X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikter
    Rookie
    • Jul 2014

Got my first win with Rogue but feel like I played it wrong

So I killed Morgoth today for the first time playing as a Half-Troll Rogue. I felt like I spent my entire early/most of midgame running/putting off every single fight I could and just trying to collect gear. I also never even cast Hit and Run so i'm not sure if I should have been using that. I honestly didn't feel like much of a character until I began to find stat potions to lower spell penalties and a decent Artifact weapon which for me ended up being Sting due to none of the thancs showing until around D:40. For awhile I felt reasonably powerful but that quickly stopped and I felt back at step 1 for quite awhile. Also poison resistance felt surprisingly hard to find.
  • Mondkalb
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Well, that's standard rogue for me - sneaking around an get stuff.

Also, congratulations!
    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Selkie
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2020

You can't win and play it wrong. Congratulations.

I'm struggling to imagine why you would play a half troll Rogue though. You get bad stealth, bad dexterity and awful int. Sounds a tough gig

Comment

• archolewa
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2019

Sounds like standard Rogue. I honestly mostliy rely on devices and Recharge for my offense, though I play races with a high Device bonus when playing Rogues.
        Last edited by archolewa; June 11, 2021, 23:29.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

yep. Standard rogue. Sneak around picking up loot and TO bad guys

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

obviously you may disagree but dodging too much stuff means later on you will find a dungeon full to the brim of nasty stuff.

Once you can kill it, you should.

Obviously bullroarer and such do not factor in, later on you'll casually kill them and not even notice, but stuff like Gorlim etc can be aggravating; the phoenix, the 4 elementals, the balrog of moria, etc - don't get to DL90 & none of the uniques are dead.
            Do a bit of house cleaning before DL60.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Rikter
              Rookie
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Selkie
              I'm struggling to imagine why you would play a half troll Rogue though. You get bad stealth, bad dexterity and awful int. Sounds a tough gig
              I won't lie the start of the game was an absolute pain. I just wanted to be as strong as possible early and dive to around D:10 and look for one of the Thanc Daggers and eventually get access to all the Rogue spells. I'm not entirely sure how max hp works in this game but I think Half Trolls have the most so that was another reason I picked one. I had 50% spell success for quite awhile, my stealth took awhile to pick up and I was generally just a terrible Warrior for awhile. After enough stat potions and random incidental Int from artifacts my spells became reliable and my stealth became quite good too. At least until I found Deathwreaker and stealth ceased to exist.

Originally posted by archolewa
              Sounds like standard Rogue. I honestly mostliy rely on devices and Recharge for my offense, though I play races with a high Device bonus when playing Rogues.
              I know very little about Devices and how useful/viable the offensive/status ones are so I decided to just rely on hitting things to death.

Originally posted by Sky
              obviously you may disagree but dodging too much stuff means later on you will find a dungeon full to the brim of nasty stuff.

Once you can kill it, you should.

Obviously bullroarer and such do not factor in, later on you'll casually kill them and not even notice, but stuff like Gorlim etc can be aggravating; the phoenix, the 4 elementals, the balrog of moria, etc - don't get to DL90 & none of the uniques are dead.
              Do a bit of house cleaning before DL60.
              Oh yeah I learned this quite painfully I dived down to DL90+ when I felt like I couldn't kill anything anyways but the unique density was just too high to get anything done. I went back to DL70-ish and searched for gear for awhile and slowly began to kill them off when I found them alone and I had consumables like resist potions on hand. I didn't actually have a good grasp on how powerful I was and how powerful some of the uniques were so I could have definitely engaged a few of them earlier than I did. It was the first time I had actually come across most of them in my own game rather than going off what I had heard from other people.

Comment

• Selkie
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2020

@Rikter just watch out for Wiruin - the dreaded v. You can't detect him and he can shred through HP and summon like it's going out of fashion. As a rogue you don't get ball spells so it's hard to scum kill him from around a corner.

Comment

• Sky
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2016

Lol, Wiruin is ridiculously overpowered.

I mostly just "tested" 4.2 so it was ok to wizard out of a death, but Wiruin would kill me almost every time i met him.
                  "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• archolewa
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2019

@Rikter just watch out for Wiruin - the dreaded v. You can't detect him and he can shred through HP and summon like it's going out of fashion. As a rogue you don't get ball spells so it's hard to scum kill him from around a corner.
                    Im pretty sure one of Rogues detect spells detects him, dont they get the spell that detects literally all monsters? A Rod of Detection certainly detects him.

Comment

• Rikter
                      Rookie
                      • Jul 2014

I wasn't playing on the absolutely newest version so I didn't have the pleasure of fighting him. I killed most of the uniques (besides Grinshkah and Old Man Willow) before fighting Morgoth.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎