Does monster memory list breath damage before resists?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikter
    Rookie
    • Jul 2014

Does monster memory list breath damage before resists?

So I reached around floor 50 on my current character and am coming across Ancient Dragons. Green ones for example say they can breath for 500 damage which is almost my entire health pool. Is the damage listed before any kind of resist?
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

yes.

resists are divided into base and high resists.
    Base resists are fire/cold/lightning/acid/poison. If you resist, you take 1/4 the damage.
    Double resist (e.g. resist fire + potion of resist fire) lower the damage even more.

Note that breaths, and only breaths, are both dependent on the distance from the monster, AND on their current HP. Monsters which are hurt breathe for less.
    Spells are not affected.

Higher resists are shards, nether, disenchant, etc all the other ones. Here the resist works different, if you resist you will take a variable, random reduction of damage - it's not always 1/4.

Shards and Chaos are very dangerous, stay away from greater wyrms of chaos / thunder unless you are really strong and experienced.
    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Julian
      Adept
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Sky
      yes.

resists are divided into base and high resists.
      Base resists are fire/cold/lightning/acid/poison. If you resist, you take 1/4 the damage.
      Double resist (e.g. resist fire + potion of resist fire) lower the damage even more.
      It’s 1/3 for base and 1/9 for double. (And double is only permanent plus temporary.)

Higher resists are shards, nether, disenchant, etc all the other ones. Here the resist works different, if you resist you will take a variable, random reduction of damage - it's not always 1/4.
      It'€™s multiplied by 6/(9-13), so you take somewhere between 2/3 and 1/2 damage, but the damage numbers are lower to begin with. (Breath damage for the basics is 1/3 monster HP, while it’s only 1/6 for the high elements.)

Comment

• fph
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

Is poison the same as the other 4 base resists? I seem to recall it was handled differently.
        --
        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Selkie
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by fph
          Is poison the same as the other 4 base resists? I seem to recall it was handled differently.
          Poison sits in the middle between the elemental resists and the high resists. Damage reduction from poison resistance is better than the high breath attacks, but slightly lower than the elemental breath attacks

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

@selkie--
            The only difference between poison and the other 4 elements is max damage, at 800 instead of 1600. But acid is also de facto capped at 800 for any player with non-zero AC in every slot. With that taken into account, poison is actually the more dangerous of the two, as monsters only need 2400HP to reach 800 with poison, but 4800 to do so with 'armor-resisted' acid.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎