X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

Monster .. rarity?

Something unusual happened, in 4 games (3 deaths), i have fought on 5 separate occasions Hummerhorns.

Now, this very rarely happens. It's something that you tend to notice, as hummerhorns are one of those "one too many steps and you die" mobs, given their depth, the fact that they doublemove, and they hit to confuse. Even with !Spd it's easy to die to them.

So this got me thinking .. surely there is a rarity stat to monster spawns?

I can go a full game without meeting a single drolem. I haven't seen hummerhorns in months. Nether worm mass are rare (4.1.3), Will O Wisp are uncommon and i can go a full game without meeting one ..

instead, orcs, trolls, etc are plentiful. There isn't a game without every slime in the book, or Xorns, or vampires.

So, are these mobs rarer than others? Or is it just some weird side effect of the dungeon generation ?
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • Selkie
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2020

Every monster has a rarity value, just like treasure.

I know what you mean though. I'll play a few games and just entirely forget about a specific monster and then they show up and it's like meeting an old friend.

Same can't be said for huorns or any type of hound

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

my absolutely fav monster is Mumaks - plenty of XP for no effort, the move slow, in a single file, and are happy to get killed.

Oh ... well .. i mean, aside from breeders. Me, breeders, and a loooong corridor is all i ask for.
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Hummerhorns are rare, at rarity 4. Further, they are shallow, and at native depth 18, experienced players blow past their habitat quickly.
        Drolems are rarity 3.

In comparison, Gothmog--at rarity 1-- and his minions show up all the time

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎