Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kadoles
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2008

ok i have never played tome before. i need some help/guidance. what am i doing in this game? and how do I do it?

what are totems and why do i want to make one? i made a mouse, then summoned it, it bred and filled up the dungeon but i couldn't see a practical use for it...
    Current Char

Comment

• Narvius
      Knight
      • Dec 2007

Make a totem of a spellcasting unique and you'll see...
      If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Kadoles
        Apprentice
        • Feb 2008

that sounds interesting. I wonder if i will make it far enough to try that... this troll druid kinda sucks...
        Current Char

Comment

• madmonk
          Rookie
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kadoles
          ok i have never played tome before. i need some help/guidance. what am i doing in this game? and how do I do it?

what are totems and why do i want to make one? i made a mouse, then summoned it, it bred and filled up the dungeon but i couldn't see a practical use for it...
          Mice are the best... Recommendation, go south of Bree into the water, summon your mouse and go kill a Hydra... It can be done!

Of course if you have got a reasonable corpse preservation skill level, you might be lucky and get a Hydra corpse out of it.

Creating a Unique Totem is slightly problematical since they tend to be alarmingly independant.

For a summoner type establishing a chain summons is the end objective... You summon a creature (for which you pay Mana) it summons creatures (for which you don't pay mana) - and they are all loyal to you.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by madmonk
            Mice are the best... Recommendation, go south of Bree into the water, summon your mouse and go kill a Hydra... It can be done!

Of course if you have got a reasonable corpse preservation skill level, you might be lucky and get a Hydra corpse out of it.

Creating a Unique Totem is slightly problematical since they tend to be alarmingly independant.

For a summoner type establishing a chain summons is the end objective... You summon a creature (for which you pay Mana) it summons creatures (for which you don't pay mana) - and they are all loyal to you.
            Can all classes make these totems? Or just certain classes?
            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• madmonk
              Rookie
              • Jul 2008

All classes can do it...

You would need some skill in summoning and some skill in corpse preservation to make it work properly.

If you want to do it "professionally" then play a Summoner.

Go here for more info...

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Started such a Troll, selected Spectre to avoid digging issue. Died of starvation because I must have accidentally destroyed my tome of water when making room for stuff.

Dump is here: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8341

Estie (AKA Rakanishu)

Comment

• madmonk
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2008

That looks like a good start!

Have you checked out the forum recently? Lots of activity!

Comment

• MrCba
                    Rookie
                    • Apr 2008

I guess that I must do a classical Troll, may I wrong ? Is It allowed to make a mutant troll for example ?

This Troll priest is very interesting but I am getting out of piety very fast. How to win some ? There is no specter and ghost near starting point.
                    Cba

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

It doesnt tell anything about subrace, so I assumed there was no restriction. However, unless you know exactly what your doing, you may be best off picking classical. (Note two things: 1. My troll wouldnt have died from starvation if he had been classical, because he could have eaten meat from a monster corpse and 2. the death fate for level 16 was unpleasant; a classic troll probably wouldnt have gotten it.)

As for piety, you get some for charming animals and it doesnt matter if they are hostile or already charmed. So find a group of them and keep casting charm animal (radius 1), preferably before you go into a dungeon and start loosing piety. Cheap, but effective

Comment

• MrCba
                        Rookie
                        • Apr 2008

Cool, I love to be a mutant

Ok thank you for your piety's advice.

--> Well, Charm cost 11 piety's points and make me win two piety's point. So your technique doesn't work at level 1... I guess I must kill some monster before and increase spirituality and monster-lore
                        Last edited by MrCba; December 17, 2008, 12:41.
                        Cba

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

--> Well, Charm cost 11 piety's points and make me win two piety's point. So your technique doesn't work at level 1... I guess I must kill some monster before and increase spirituality and monster-lore
                          Yes, you need to gain some levels first; I usually get ~15 in the marsh south of Bree. Also, make sure the spell has radius 1. Charming only 1 animal wont return more piety than you invest.

Comment

• madmonk
                            Rookie
                            • Jul 2008

Yavannah is a difficult deity to gain piety points with. Expect to go severely negative initially. In the mid to late game is where you will reap the rewards.

I posed no restriction on what type of Troll, so you could play Classical or Vampire or whatever.

Comment

• madmonk
                              Rookie
                              • Jul 2008

Zizzo has created a skill point programme with which you can test your allocation of skill points for ANY combination of race and class (warning: this includes combinations that are not available in the game)

A very useful skill point allocator!

Go here to get it.

Comment

• Estie
                                Veteran
                                • Apr 2008

So I started a second Troll:

Havent found a single dungeon town, though I have searched everywhere except for the illusory castle (hate that place).

Funny how I found a very similar randart cloak again. Currently doing Mordor, but tried to tackle Trone since his coat would fit me nicely

However, he proves difficult. I tried:

1. setting my old friend Gandalf on him, but he stood no chance and I dismissed him when he was at 1 star. Guess hes getting old...

2. preparing a room with nevermoving pets and luring Trone in. Trone tore through drujs, deathmolds and greater Qs without getting scratched.

3. the voidgate jump game; didnt work because hes too fast. Im only at +10 base speed, +20 buffed with adrenaline channeling.

Anyone got a good idea ?

So that part is delayed for now, till I have enough hit points to survive a darkness breath.

I have played her like a mindcrafter sofar, waiting to see what FF had to offer. But FF was stingy, if I dont get 0.5 in symbiosis or archery soon Ill probably just pump weaponmastery, get the extrablows and melee with waterbite-enhanced magestaff, since pulverize doesnt cut it against the likes of Trone. Back to my princess quest for undead beholders...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎