• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmonk
    Rookie
    • Jul 2008

New Challenge

Welcome one and all,

I have a challenge for you... just to celebrate the new forum!

Born (if it can be called that), life was hell, your mother was low mean and nasty. Your father was even worse - if he was your father... which you doubt! To make matters worse you are cursed with an allergy to metal!

Your only solace was to run into the nearby forest and stay there for as long as you could. Surprisingly you found that you could relate to animals and plants (you can see where this is going can't you?), and came to revere and worship Yavannah.

This is fairly amazing since you are a troll!

OK - so the challenge is a Troll Druid. You must accept the first character rolled. You may not put a minimum in on the roller.

After that you may not use metal in any form. This means that any metal weapon is out. Armour may only be the leather (or less) variety. Lanterns and lamps - no, they are metal. Boots - not metal ones. Rings and amulets are made of metal. Traps have metal in them so are of no use. Shields - not the metal ones. Helmets - goodness metal ones give you blinding headaches and make your hair fall out - so no to metal ones. Gloves and gauntlets? They are OK unless they specifically mention metal...

Good luck!
  • Narvius
    Knight
    • Dec 2007

Not all rings are metal, I think.
    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
      Adept
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Narvius
      Not all rings are metal, I think.
      This is true; but in the context of the challenge it seems a little unfair to allow player A to use a Wooden Ring of Speed, while only allowing player B to use a Wooden Ring of Weakness.

Comment

• madmonk
        Rookie
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Daniel Fishman
        This is true; but in the context of the challenge it seems a little unfair to allow player A to use a Wooden Ring of Speed, while only allowing player B to use a Wooden Ring of Weakness.
        Which is really why I banned all rings and amulets.

Of course you could always use them if they are not made of metal, but I felt it might place to much of a burden on housekeeping remembering which rings are metal and which are not. It s up to you. Me being lazy - no rings!

Comment

• Zikke
          Veteran
          • Jun 2008

So I am completely new to ToME, but I wanted to try out this challenge.

I tried to make a new character but I couldn't find how to make a troll druid. Picking Troll is easy, but Druid wasn't on the list... any advice?

Also, do you care if we are a "standard" troll or a different type of troll?
          A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
          A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
          C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
            Adept
            • Apr 2007

Druid is a subclass of Priest. So choose Priest as your class, and then Druid as your subclass. But be warned. This is a challenge for a reason - Druid is a tough class to play, and Troll is probably not the ideal race for it - and that's before you get the equipment restriction.

Comment

• Narvius
              Knight
              • Dec 2007

Druid is a subclass... of... uh... mage?
              No, priest!
              If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Zikke
                Veteran
                • Jun 2008

Okay sorry, another dummy question.

When I move around in the town, I leave "ghosts" of the @ symbol occasionally. I assume this is documented; do you know how to fix this? I am running Windows XP with the default tiles.

edit:

You receive a vicious blow to the head!
                All of your possessions have been stolen.
                Welcome to ToME ^_^
                Last edited by Zikke; December 15, 2008, 17:42.
                A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• madmonk
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Zikke
                  Okay sorry, another dummy question.

When I move around in the town, I leave "ghosts" of the @ symbol occasionally. I assume this is documented; do you know how to fix this? I am running Windows XP with the default tiles.

edit:

You receive a vicious blow to the head!
                  All of your possessions have been stolen.
                  Welcome to ToME ^_^
                  Go here. It has a fix for your problem.

Comment

• Seany C
                    Swordsman
                    • Apr 2007

Heh, interesting (if tough) challenge, MM - are Quarterstaves/ permitted?
                    One other question - missiles, slings/pebbles/boomerangs OK, but arrows/shots/bolts aren't?

One more question - is the prohibition on holding metal items at all, even in your backpack, or can they be brought back to town and sold?

I can see this one getting technical...

EDIT: One extra question
                    Last edited by Seany C; December 15, 2008, 19:27.

Comment

• MrCba
                      Rookie
                      • Apr 2008

What about wand, rod and other stuff some are made with metal ?
                      Cba

Comment

• madmonk
                        Rookie
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Seany C
                        Heh, interesting (if tough) challenge, MM - are Quarterstaves/ permitted?
                        One other question - missiles, slings/pebbles/boomerangs OK, but arrows/shots/bolts aren't?

One more question - is the prohibition on holding metal items at all, even in your backpack, or can they be brought back to town and sold?

I can see this one getting technical...

EDIT: One extra question
                        You can sell things in your backpack, so yes, take them back to town.

If the item is of metal, then you cannot wear/wield it... So wooden boomerangs are OK, but metal ones are not.

Originally posted by MrCba
                        What about wand, rod and other stuff some are made with metal ?
                        You are not wearing/wielding a wand/stave/rod so it is OK.

Comment

• Seany C
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2007

Hmm, thought of a tricky one - how's he going to get through rubble? Picks and shovels are both metal - does he have to find a Wand of Dig just to get through BD1?

My one's got Phase Door from Mindcraft by CL5 so it's not a deal-breaker, but it is an almighty pain in his Trollish posterior...

Comment

• madmonk
                            Rookie
                            • Jul 2008

Interesting one...

This one is up to you, since I see there are some people who have not played ToME before.

My feeling is it is barred since it is made of metal...

Let us compromise! You may use a digger until level 20 and then you will have to use a wand or other method.

Comment

• Seany C
                              Swordsman
                              • Apr 2007

Actually, he's been doing OK with Phase Door so far so I'm playing hardcore and not using a digger at all. I think, with a Mindcraft character, that PD should be OK until the char can afford Wands of Dig (or, better still, get Thrain's wand)...

The main causes of death so far have been a combo of rubbish melee skills (waiting for barehand FF so only buffing Combat to about 20 or so until he's got a 0.5 in barehand) and tough-for-depth FF monsters (19 Rock Moles = swift demise).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎