X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KesTheHammer
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2021

Nether Realm Town

Again, I got Nether realm Towns (on levels 669 and 672), and it really screwed me over.

Due to what can only be described as a bug, my rod of home summoning then did not find the correct home (it found a new empty home, presumably in the dungeon town).

So now I have to go kill Tikki without all my supplies.

I managed to do so and climb all the way back only to find that the town on 669 has no up stairs (the one that used to be there when I came up is now a down staircase).

So I'm pretty sure that I can't finish the game without some cheating from here.

Having said that, anybody who managed to complete this insane quest has my respect.

I built the most cheesy characters I could to try and beat it and died several times. (the anti magic archer, and this Necromancy + Symbiosis Sorceror).

My cheesy way to avoid death is: Potion of Invulnerability + Mass Genocide. Then create a stone prison, summon never moving pets which I kill by ensuring that there is no line of sight (the L shape trick). Repeat 49 times and you are alive again.
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Yeah Nether realm towns are a curse, not a blessing, and not having a staircase generated is a harsh bug to ruin a run after all that effort.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Due to what can only be described as a bug, my rod of home summoning then did not find the correct home (it found a new empty home, presumably in the dungeon town).
      Sad to hear you ran into this without any foreknowledge.

It was a fairly well known thing back in the day and people would warn about it.

The best advice I can give is to just never rely on the Rod of Home Summoning. Or you could just remove the possibility of towns in Nether Realm -- it's a pretty simple edit to the edit files, just remove
      Code:
      F:RANDOM_TOWNS
      from the entry in d_info.txt.
      Last edited by AnonymousHero; December 23, 2021, 12:08.

Comment

• Yottle
        Apprentice
        • Dec 2008

I once lost a sure *winner* to the no up stairs in Nether Realm town bug. I even cleared the entire level of walls and traps to make sure I didn't miss one. I have never seen that in any other town so I assume it is due to some quirk in the NR code.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
          Apprentice
          • Feb 2021

I did the same thing, twice. Went down and then up again. The town was surrounded by wall of doors as well.

I don't feel like a cheater by using the probability travel solution to get around the bug.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
            Apprentice
            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by AnonymousHero

The best advice I can give is to just never rely on the Rod of Home Summoning.
            I had all my genocide scrolls and enough potions of *healing * so it wasn't too much of an issue.

But the whole point of the rod of home summoning is to use it in the void/nether realm.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎