• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

After advice on an Edain

So this Gal

I could take polearms mastery/concentration & use the great spear of vanyar.
    I could aim for charge & use that nice greatsword.
    I've got enough perception for bane & was planning on orc-bane but I'm approaching the point where orcs won't be a problem, so I could get wolf-bane (for werewolfs later on) or troll-bane & pick off trolls for xp.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Dead now. Oh well, glad to get that far anyway.
    Last edited by wobbly; June 27, 2014, 18:54.
  • taptap
    Knight
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wobbly
    So this Gal

I could take polearms mastery/concentration & use the great spear of vanyar.
    I could aim for charge & use that nice greatsword.
    I've got enough perception for bane & was planning on orc-bane but I'm approaching the point where orcs won't be a problem, so I could get wolf-bane (for werewolfs later on) or troll-bane & pick off trolls for xp.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Dead now. Oh well, glad to get that far anyway.
    Why did you take power and finesse?

Comment

• clouded
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2012

There isn't much reason not to on a Hador, power is good and finesse has a much better path of skills. If you decide you don't want the +1 required on crits from power you can turn it off later.

To wobbly, you've focused on too many skills, Edain can't really play this way unlike a Noldor. elliptic is pro enough to do smithing Edain but otherwise 2 for weaponsmith is as much as I'd do, you have 1 grace after all. Just focus on melee and evasion and then get will for constitution, and enough perception for whatever useful thing you want out of it.

Comment

• taptap
        Knight
        • Jan 2013

I would only ever do power and finesse combination when I try for light great spear, where I want critical hits, but need power for knockback. So, I believe the coolest way to play for him would be the great spear of the vanyar and trolling orcs with light effects and polearm mastery. (Though likely not the most effective one.)

I believe charge at start (momentum + knockback later) is a very cool combination for Hador - it combines well with flanking.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Originally posted by taptap
          Why did you take power and finesse?
          With hardiness & armoursmithing at the start it was the only way I could find to survive the 1st 100' reliably. Of course I could of took more melee/evasion instead of hardiness but I was aiming for a versatility archer anyway, so I tried to avoid a lot of melee skill. I'm actually undecided whether charge is really a better option then power/finesse with versatility. If I can get away with as much of my melee skill coming from archery & perception I will.

Of course in practice I've had better luck with charge, so maybe it's just a bad plan.

Re: Armoursmithing, yeah it's probably did cost me too much. I figured I only had to hit 9 for speed boots. 'but then again it's probably smarter to just take take sprinting. I've got a soft spot for smith & tend to justify it any way I can, whether it good or not. I tend to just enjoy playing smiths more then non-smiths.

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Originally posted by clouded
            To wobbly, you've focused on too many skills, Edain can't really play this way unlike a Noldor. elliptic is pro enough to do smithing Edain but otherwise 2 for weaponsmith is as much as I'd do, you have 1 grace after all. Just focus on melee and evasion and then get will for constitution, and enough perception for whatever useful thing you want out of it.
            Just Jeweller looks work-able too. You get some of the xp back, & a pt in evasion/melee from the rings. The horn has saved this one's butt several times & with a bow+horn I can pick of spiders. If I use staffs for Morgoth I'll need channelling anyway.

We'll see, but so far so good:

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Without some way to reliably attack or hide better than you can now, I predict you will die to Wargs or Werewolves very soon
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

I suspect your wrong. I doubt I'll make it to Wargs & Werewolfs seeing I've just almost died 3 times. Once cornered between a troll & sword spider, next between a troll & violet mold & the last time between a troll & a pile of ruble. Fighting a troll with 1 con & 1 str is not good odds.

Comment

• taptap
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2013

If I would make an Edain archer, I would either go Elbereth or Stealth and drop smithing other than bow / arrow-making.

If I would make an Hador fighter, I would drop the ability buying spree. 12k XP could be 9 melee, 9 evasion, one melee ability and 4 will, 4 perception + keen senses + one more ability.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by debo
                    Without some way to reliably attack or hide better than you can now, I predict you will die to Wargs or Werewolves very soon
                    Well turns out you were wrong. I slaughtered most of the wargs, ran from the werewolves then died when a group of troll guards decided to play ping pong.

Comment

• skadefryd
                      Rookie
                      • Nov 2012

Not an expert on stealth builds, but it seems to me like if you're going for stealth (yours was 18!), and you end up getting into a protracted melee with wolves and trolls, you've done something wrong.

Comment

• taptap
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wobbly
                        Well turns out you were wrong. I slaughtered most of the wargs, ran from the werewolves then died when a group of troll guards decided to play ping pong.
                        Interesting weird mixed type character... I wondered about your wargs -> troll guards.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎