X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by taptap
    I just realized that I tend to use up at least one, often two, recharging staffs for recharging my understanding staff. I try to use-ID items, but want to save consumables. But in fact I just trade charges for potions / herbs, now if I imagine more treasure or revelation charges I am not sure this trade off is so good.
    Great point. I really like my super-simple version of recharging staffs. Much more interesting and much more simple than the Angband version.

This is exactly the kind of tradeoff analysis Sil encourages. Scatha was recently mentioning to me that you could quantify a similar tradeoff in terms of how many points of damage equal how many lost turns (due to resting). It depends on your Con, but can be surprisingly high

Comment

• BlueFish
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by half
      Great point. I really like my super-simple version of recharging staffs. Much more interesting and much more simple than the Angband version.

This is exactly the kind of tradeoff analysis Sil encourages. Scatha was recently mentioning to me that you could quantify a similar tradeoff in terms of how many points of damage equal how many lost turns (due to resting). It depends on your Con, but can be surprisingly high
      I doubt many of us rest all that often though. Generally you can multi-task your healing with your exploring, if you weigh the dangerous parts of exploring more towards when you have full HP and the less dangerous parts more towards when you have less HP. For me, passing a turn for the sole purpose of gaining HP is a pretty rare occurrence.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

The health/exploring/resting tension is something I really noticed as Edain (or other low-con dudes).

I really want to be at full HP all the time when Con is <=3, but since resting takes the same # of turns regardless of maxHP, neither do I want to be resting after every fight.

I'm pretty comfortable walking around at half-HP when I have Con 5 or higher, but below that I actually have to think about whether I feel comfortable multitasking my exploring with healing, or whether I do want to sit tight and wait it out.
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I shift-z fully heal after every skirmish... I'm the oddball, again, I suppose.
          You are on something strange

Comment

• taptap
            Knight
            • Jan 2013

It really depends on the char. A singer who got things under control again, fine. An archer, fine. If I feel really strong, fine. But quite often my fighters end up healing in a corner (that is why I am usually quite slow I guess).

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
            But you play heavy protection fairly often, don't you? Do you have to heal a lot?

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

I have just simply always fully healed after every conflict for many many years. I never cared about turncount... in fact, it surprised me when I learned that people actually cared about turncount. I try to shave it down, but, I don't really know why... peer pressure? I think it's fun to spend half a million turns shopping and digging smiley faces in the rock. *shrugs*. It's not an optimal habit... just a habit.

In regards to Sil clock, I don't think I've ever had any problems with clock, even resting full after every conflict with ironman stairs. I... just don't care. Plus, it's easy not to care when even if I did... my turncount would still suck. Haha.

When I picked up Nethack a few years ago, it drove me absolutely crazy that there was no easy rest full or until disturbed command.

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

Ironman stairs ... my turncount would still suck.
                @hm: Hilarious understatement given how fast you actually play. "Ironman stairs" really says everything.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Haha, yeah. My Aluminum Elf came in at 29,789 turns. That's enough time for several good naps.

Comment

• BlueFish
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2011

Not to diminish the accomplishment, but under ironman rules, you'd want to spend lots of time on every level, so resting makes perfect sense in that case. That would increase the experience gained and items dropped per level, since it would increase the number of monsters seen and killed per level, as they enter the level while you rest.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

My characters all have narcolepsy.

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

My characters all have narcolepsy.
                        Carrying all that heavy shit around is hard work.
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

I just lost my tea all over the keyboard! Haha, you got me on that one Debo.

Okay, to try and steer this back on topic, (As I'm likely the one who de-rerailed it)...

One of the things I do is pile as many potions and herbs as I can carry before I start trial by use. This way, if I find a negative herb or potion, I have a sporting chance of curing stat loss or finding the right antidote. I usually wait until I am hurting and hungry and then go on a glutton fest. If I get on a lucky-streak and hit no negative effects and my stores are dwindling, I stop, as my chance to hit a landmine with no cure increases. Minesweeper is an awesome game, btw.

Comment

• Psi
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

On the flip side, I only shift-z after being blinded or confused when testing potions.

Comment

• half
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Psi
                              On the flip side, I only shift-z after being blinded or confused when testing potions.
                              Would it be useful to have some other standard rest type? Perhaps even as the default meaning for shift-Z?

What do other people think is ideal?

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by half
                                Would it be useful to have some other standard rest type? Perhaps even as the default meaning for shift-Z?

What do other people think is ideal?
                                I believe the current implementation rests until either status change or fully healed and that works fine for me. I almost never rest for HP as I can recover whilst I explore.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎