• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by fizzix
    Check out Final Fantasy Tactics.
    Yes, that was what I was referring to by "tactical RPG". Though personally I find FFT to be a horrible slog. If you want an actually fun tactical RPG, look up the Disgaea series.

My envisioned personal variant would be some merger of Angband and Grandia II through the lens of a tactical RPG system.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
      Veteran
      • Sep 2010

Has anyone played Knights of the Chalice?

Comment

• getter77
        Adept
        • Dec 2009

Played and then some...what's on your mind?

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
          Veteran
          • Sep 2010

I haven't. So I suppose you like it? Is it a good, tough tactical RPG worth a try?

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
            Swordsman
            • Apr 2010

This is a great post. Honestly I'd love to see people do Sil variants in addition to people just using bits and pieces of it. I think of Sil as being a "game engine". Like Angband is a game engine that FA and NPP build off of but are still pretty different.
            The time limit is both one of the best things about Sil and its one of the worst. But Sil without a time limit would be dumb IMO. THe only thing that makes the time limit suck is the fact that you could play a pretty good game and still not be able to kill Morgoth. Which yes isn't the goal, but its something that we all do. So really if you are just trying for that Sil then the time limit doesn't have a downside at least in 1.3. The time limit just sucks if you are trying to break the game.
            Anyway thanks for all the hard work.

Comment

• getter77
              Adept
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
              I haven't. So I suppose you like it? Is it a good, tough tactical RPG worth a try?
              One of the few game projects thus far where I made the Ingame Credits.

It is certainly good and tough---so long as you enjoy lots of combat and a fair bit of looting. I can personally vouch for unusual gimmick builds often being quite viable as that was one of my great tests for the game from the very beginning, hence the relatively narrow selection of classes gains a bit of variety.

I would also recommend you play the demo even if you plan to buy, as it is actually a self-contained unique mini-module of sorts in a nice twist versus most games nowadays.

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

So I've started working on this project I mentioned earlier. I'm doing a prototype in Python using cocos2d + Tiled mapeditor.

I've decided to simplify things drastically by having the player control only one character, like in a standard roguelike. I don't want to deal with adapting the Sil mechanics to giving combatants "action points" or whatever -- that would be a fun challenge for a second game. (Another fun mechanic might be to have 4 characters in the party with different builds, but you're only allowed to deploy 1 per battle or something a-la NES Ninja Turtles 1 haha)

My first checkpoint is going to be a "battle scene" where the player faces off against N bad guys armed with longswords and leather armor No abilities, etc. Will post to github soon so people can make fun of me!
                Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Therem Harth
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
                  My envisioned personal variant would be some merger of Angband and Grandia II through the lens of a tactical RPG system.
                  Oh how I wish.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍