Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Going melee/evasion heavy with Song of Elbereth right off the bat is a pretty canonical start. With any Noldor, Elbereth works pretty darn well against orcs even with not much in song, since they all have decent Grace boosts.

Most melee builds also add songs throughout the game anyways now, song of slaying and song of trees being a big ones.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• absolutego
      Scout
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by huiren
      Edit: I should mention I've watched quite a number of Debo's videos, greatly enjoyed them and sad there don't seem to be any new ones. I wouldn't have made it past 200' without them, I'm sure.
      officially requesting 5111 hador debo videos
      the 21st century equivalent of heart of darkness

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by absolutego
        officially requesting 5111 hador debo videos
        the 21st century equivalent of heart of darkness
        Not sure how exciting it would be to watch me die 1000 times in a row. Then again, it might be amazing!

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Might be entertaining. How do I generate an item in cheat mode? I want a 8lb double fine mattock.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

If you were being serious, then here:

ctrl+a to prompt for debug mode
            Password is: Gondolin

Once you have debug mode ready to go you just hit ctrl+a to prompt
            for a 'cheat'.

So, ctrl+a 'c' is create item. choose digger. choose mattock.
            Pick up yon mattock.
            Then, ctrl+a 'o' is play with an item. Choose the item then 'tweak' it. Just remember to accept changes.

If there is a way to generate artifacts that would be awesome. If you come across it let me know. In Fa, and maybe other variants, 'C' will create artifacts.
            You are on something strange

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
              If there is a way to generate artifacts that would be awesome. If you come across it let me know. In Fa, and maybe other variants, 'C' will create artifacts.
              Find the index of your desired artefact in 'artefacts.txt'. Hit 'R' for repeat, type in the index as your # of turns to repeat, and then hit Ctrl-a -> C. It will use the number you typed in as input to the create thingy command. Voila! You have your OP thing.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Thanks man!

When I was doing my Samurai Jack guy I did many like, 'legit' runs, but then I thought... what if I just made him like my 45k characters. Jack requires a BLACK BLADE! I'll have to give this a shot when I get a chance. You will laugh to know that I just generated a lot of christmas presents.

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                  Thanks man!

When I was doing my Samurai Jack guy I did many like, 'legit' runs, but then I thought... what if I just made him like my 45k characters. Jack requires a BLACK BLADE! I'll have to give this a shot when I get a chance. You will laugh to know that I just generated a lot of christmas presents.
                  imo add an Aglarang to Sil artefacts. I added Stormbringer once: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=13624

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Thanks. I figure it's not cheating if your doing a ridiculous run anyway. I might give it a go on a drinking night. 5/1/1/1 Hador with charge, cruel blow, the mattock, +0 amulet of con & str ring and a backpack full of booze & rage herbs.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Grab Burkfelek! It must have a rarity of one billion for a good reason.

Comment

• kzer_za
                        Rookie
                        • Feb 2014

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled on it while searching the forum and just thought I'd comment...

Originally posted by BlueFish
                        Curious - is there justification within JRRT for deathblased? I love'em, cool idea for the game, even though I no longer play stabbers.
                        Well, there are talking swords - see Turin's death. Not quite the same as an actual living fighting sword, but it's related.
                        Last edited by kzer_za; October 5, 2014, 01:44.

Comment

• Nerdanel
                          Rookie
                          • Dec 2008

I downloaded Sil, and it compiled on Linux just fine, but I can't get the program to start. I have installed the executable in the correct place under the main directory and am launching it from the same place, but I get an error message about not finding the font.

Code:
                          ./sil: Couldn't load the requested font. (10x20)
                          The commands ./sil and ./silx show the same behavior here.

I checked, and the file 10x20.fon is there under lib/xtra/font just like it should be.

Edit: I just tried FAangband and after I managed to change LC_CTYPE to a UTF-8 locale like FAangband wanted, I got the same error about not finding the font, so this isn't something specific to Sil. I can open Zothiqband (my questionably-in-progress variant based on ToME 3) though.
                          Last edited by Nerdanel; March 29, 2015, 17:15.

Comment

• bisonbison
                            Rookie
                            • Jan 2013

Any update on Sil? I'd be sad to see this game go dormant.

Comment

• taptap
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bisonbison
                              Any update on Sil? I'd be sad to see this game go dormant.
                              There will be. The developer got a child now and was travelling at the time 1.3 was expected (1.0, 1.1, 1.2 all arrived on JRR Tolkiens birthday) to go public. That said, the game is pretty polished as is.

The forum is quite silent now as well, but you can discuss only so much, after you have won in several different ways with different houses, which is what the more active players / posters did.

Comment

• Minstrel
                                Rookie
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Nerdanel
                                Code:
                                ./sil: Couldn't load the requested font. (10x20)
                                I know this is a bit of an old post, but I figured I'd reply since I was just dealing with the same issue myself and managed to get it running.

It looks like it's related to a missing dependency from Angband proper around 2010.

There's a solution for Debian based systems here. tl;dr : install xfonts-base

On my laptop running Fedora 21 / x86_64, I got it working by installing xorg-x11-apps (I think it was xorg-x11-fonts-misc that was installed as a dependency that actually did it so that might be suficient).

Hope that might help someone!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍