X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Oh no, I've caused an intermittent bug

So I'm trying to bring stat restore potions back to Angband 3.3.0. The code is all there, so I just put the potion entries in object.txt... And now Angband quits on start with this message:

Code:
    Unable to (re-)stock store 4. Please report this bug
    It looks like store 4 is the Alchemist. Do some Googling... Hey, maybe the presence of stat restore potions there is hard coded, and there are too many entries? So I try removing some items from the Alchemist's store.

And it works... Once. Then Angband continues to crash on start.

What's going on? Have I found some lower level problem in the code, or did I do something dumb?

Edit: dang it this is in the wrong forum. Can someone move this to Development?
    Last edited by Therem Harth; August 11, 2011, 19:52. Reason: Wrong forum
  • myshkin
    Angband Devteam member
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Therem Harth
    So I'm trying to bring stat restore potions back to Angband 3.3.0. The code is all there, so I just put the potion entries in object.txt... And now Angband quits on start with this message:
    What N: and I: lines did you use for the potions?

Comment

• Therem Harth
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

326 to 331 and 75:17 to 75:22, respectively.

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

... Bizarre. I've deleted everything and checked out the git repo again, and now everything works fine. Darned if I can explain it.

Comment

• Tobias
          Adept
          • Dec 2009

... Bizarre. I've deleted everything and checked out the git repo again, and now everything works fine. Darned if I can explain it.
          maybe you just had to make distclean. That happens sometimes.
          My Angband videos : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...385E85F31166B2

Comment

• Therem Harth
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

Uh oh, here we go again...

I removed stat restore potions from the Alchemist's in 3.2.0, and changed the number of slots from 32 to 26, as appropriate... And now, nine times out of ten, the SDL interface freezes on character generation, with no console output. I tried inducing the crash under GDB and got nothing at all - as far as GDB can tell, Angband continues to run normally while its interface is completely unresponsive.

Help?

Edit: and this is with a completely clean compile FWIW.

Comment

• Therem Harth
              Knight
              • Jan 2008

Okay, I managed to get a backtrace with the X11 frontend. Can't C&P it, too big for the xterm, but it said something about a "double free or corruption" near the top.

GDB unfortunately still produces no output..

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Uh oh, here we go again...

I removed stat restore potions from the Alchemist's in 3.2.0, and changed the number of slots from 32 to 26, as appropriate... And now, nine times out of ten, the SDL interface freezes on character generation, with no console output. I tried inducing the crash under GDB and got nothing at all - as far as GDB can tell, Angband continues to run normally while its interface is completely unresponsive.

Help?

Edit: and this is with a completely clean compile FWIW.
                The store stocking logic is fiendish and not very good - you've just run into one of its limitations. Don't reduce the number of slots, increase how many slots other items get to compensate and you should be fine.
                takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Therem Harth
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2008

Ah, thanks. I'll see how that works.

Edit: nope, still crashes with the "double free or corruption (!prev)" error.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

Hah, this gets even better. It turns out that, if it crashes and you close it, Angband sticks around until you kill -9 it. I'm guessing GDB isn't telling me anything because the game is actually in an infinite loop; and the backtrace I got (with "double free or corrupion") isn't worth anything.

Perhaps I should switch to the 3.3 codebase?

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎