X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowTechnology
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2009

Idea for an upcoming contest.

Now that we are almost done evaluating all the character classes in Angband 4.2.0, do we want to finish with an atypical contest?

In a discussion of the last contest (229) it was asked whether winners could (sometimes) be determined by criterion other than experience/turncount. In that discussion Ingwe said:

"On rare occasions, the ranking criteria are varied (e.g., the Hobbit that started wearing Sting, a Mithril Chainmail, and The One Ring - The winner was the victor with the lowest max experience, regardless of turncount. The idea was to see how low of a character level could win. It was a very fun comp, won by PowerWyrm, if I remember right, and was the first Angband comp I ever tried.) In any event, any special win criteria would be clearly stated on the comp page."

That was Contest 164, and I was the one who submitted the character and proposed the winner criterion. It was over 5 years ago and the current version of Angband was 3.5. It demonstrated that the game could be won by a hobbit warrior character with a maximum character level in the mid thirties (level 34 by Powerwyrm won the contest, and six others won the game at levels less than 40). The associated discussion in the Forum was positive:

With a little effort I could regenerate that starting character (or a similar one) in version 4.2 for an upcoming contest. We could ask the same question, and a different one too. Is 4.2 easier or harder than 3.5 to win?

It's up to you Gwarl, if you want to entertain these kinds of alternative contests. In this case, you would have to ask Pav to edit the way the scoreboard ranks winners. It would be the same edits he did for contest 164.

Is there enough interest for me to start generating a starting file?
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

If we use starting savefiles then people can't participate on angband live.

I already have the next competition in mind, and it won't be turncount based.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gwarl
      If we use starting savefiles then people can't participate on angband live.

I already have the next competition in mind, and it won't be turncount based.
      OK, but...
      Those people could still participate in the contest. Everyone here has access to a computer, but only a subset has a high-speed, full-time, latency-free internet connection. For example, those of us who live in rural, wilderness, or hilly regions are restricted to satellite internet and limited by the speed of light. The latency makes angband.live unusable.

Also, out of curiosity, if angband.live can create and save game files in a user's directory, couldn't it be possible to upload a file into that directory? Sounds like a fixable problem, that would allow those who prefer the angband.live interface to participate in contests that use starting files if they so desire.

But I am pleased to hear that the next competition will not be turncount based. Variety is the spice of life.

Comment

• Gwarl
        Administrator
        • Jan 2017

Yes it would be fixable and was done that way initially but it was a huge headache and the code is gone now, I'd rather implement a competition on angband.live for angband.live than go through all that again. If you want to take over as competition organiser for an offline-only oook.cz competition that can probably be arranged.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gwarl
          Yes it would be fixable and was done that way initially but it was a huge headache and the code is gone now, I'd rather implement a competition on angband.live for angband.live than go through all that again. If you want to take over as competition organiser for an offline-only oook.cz competition that can probably be arranged.
          All hail Gwarl, new competition overlord

Papa taught me to never poke a volunteer with a pointy stick, or I might become the volunteer.

Comment

• DrWho42
            Adept
            • May 2019

i'm intrigued!
            avatar by chuckdrawsthings. thanks chuck!

bootleg fishcenterlive

🌲link🌲tree🌲

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡