Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mushroom patch
    Swordsman
    • Oct 2014

Dungeon towns, eh? When did this happen?

The way I remember it, you had to run across a vast and empty "wilderness" to get to other towns and dungeons. Is this no longer the case? (If so, well-played.)

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by UglySquirrell
      This is a great idea, Tomenet is insanely fun! I think keeping it on the main server but playing Ironman deep dive challenge would be the best way to go.
      This seems like a good idea. I'm inclined to go with this unless anyone has major objections.
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Raajaton
        Swordsman
        • May 2012

I may have to taken part in this one. I've never played Tomenet, but I have played a bit of mAngband with a friend of mine a while back and it was a lot of fun. I've been meaning to get back into it, but it's been a matter of convincing other people to join me heh.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by debo
          This seems like a good idea. I'm inclined to go with this unless anyone has major objections.
          No objection as long as it's an IDDC challenge. No other restriction, it's fine to play any race/class/skill combo and even party with friends. Deepest character wins. If two characters reach the same depth, then min xp wins.
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
            No objection as long as it's an IDDC challenge. No other restriction, it's fine to play any race/class/skill combo and even party with friends. Deepest character wins. If two characters reach the same depth, then min xp wins.
            Yes, that sounds perfect. Looks like we have a plan! Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Arjen
              Adept
              • Dec 2010

I like it, IDDC is indeed perfect for a great competition.

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

So, I downloaded the client (after trying to build a GCU version on OS/X and basically barfing when I saw the makefile) and started a new game by using E (to create a character using an exclusive slot.) This seems to have started an IDDC game -- is this all that's needed basically?

Also, is there a recommendation for a server to play on? The Europe one seems to be the main one of the two that were listed by the registry.

Comment

• UglySquirrell
                  Swordsman
                  • Jul 2011

Yup, that's it. Choose the Europe server, and E to make a slot exclusive then make your character.

Right now there is a halloween event going on and all the townspeople have turned into monsters so don't kill anyone or you get experience. It will be over by the time comp starts, but is really fun and you have a chance to kill a rare monster named The Great Pumpkin for awesome items.

Once you start stock up on supplies, lantern, scrolls of satisfy hunger potions etc. then you travel on the map to coordinates (30,34) follow the edges of the maps to reduce the chance of meeting monsters on the way. (Very rarely a problem) There you will find a set of stairs downward, that's the dungeon.

Comment

• Pondos
                    Rookie
                    • Oct 2014

Looking forward to this IDDC competition very much.

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

I tried playing this for a while and I don't know how anyone does it. I feel like I'm playing DDR trying to time my keypresses properly :/

Comment

• Pondos
                        Rookie
                        • Oct 2014

How to do it?

Since it is realtime, with monster AI. Needs somewhat gaming experience how to predict things to come. Monster AI follows certain pattern, and is predictable.

Important part is to make macros at the beginning, since time is abundant when facing battle.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Pondos
                          Since it is realtime, with monster AI. Needs somewhat gaming experience how to predict things to come. Monster AI follows certain pattern, and is predictable.

Important part is to make macros at the beginning, since time is abundant when facing battle.
                          It's not so much that, it's more like "i just hit a key and nothing happened" -- like messing up a combo in street fighter or something

Comment

• UglySquirrell
                            Swordsman
                            • Jul 2011

What are you trying to do, move, attack, spell?

When moving around hold the shift key down, this will make you run unless monsters are around. Without it you will just crawl and it feels disjointed when you are moving.

Autoretaliation is also probably new to most players, it seemed strange at first but i really love this feature. When you bump into a monster you will automatically attack it with a melee weapon. This is pretty much mandatory considering the real time action. It seems to attack awake monsters before sleeping ones wich is nice.

If you want to retaliate with a ranged weapon instead, all you have to do is inscribe your weapon using the { key with @O the letter O not the number zero.

And finally with a spellbook use @O on the book itself, followed by the spells letter. For example if Beginners Cantrips has Mana Bolt listed as spell a when you browse the book you would inscribe it - Beginners Cantrips@Oa
                            This would use Mana bolt when you run into a monster or him you.

Now on to macros. The macro wizard is by far the best system iv'e come across in any game. To start it just press % and type z, and just follow the directions.

I use the 0 on my numberpad as an escape, so my thumb is always on it and it can be used almost instantly. Early game set phase door to it, then teleport when it becomes available.

My basic macros go
                            F1 Ranged attack or attack spell
                            F2 Normal Heal potion
                            F3 Emergency Heal potion
                            F4 Phase Door scroll or spell, Restore mana if a magic user, phase door late game becomes pretty much useless anyways

F5 Detect
                            F6 Mapping scroll or rod

F11 Speed Potion
                            F12 Resistance

` Stone to Mud
                            Tab Disarm

'-' key top right of numpad i use for class specific powers, Resistance for mages,Fighting form for mimics, Cloaking for rogues etc.

You can of course use anything you want this is just an example. Whenever you are in a fight have a finger over a healing potion and your thumb on an escape and you should do fine

!= will pick up your ammo automatically
                            !R Prevents Ricochetting
                            !X on a stack of identify scrolls or staff of perception will automatically use them to I'd items when you pick them up (awesome feature)

Finally i really recomend going to http://www.tomenet.net/

and checking out section 7 in the guide tactics and strategy

Oh, almost forgot about the auto inscription option, very handy press & for it. Have fun.
                            Last edited by UglySquirrell; October 31, 2014, 22:30.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by debo
                              It's not so much that, it's more like "i just hit a key and nothing happened" -- like messing up a combo in street fighter or something
                              Lag problem? Check the lag-o-meter to see how many +++ you have on the bar. Since the server is in Europe, it could be the problem.
                              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• UglySquirrell
                                Swordsman
                                • Jul 2011

Just thought i'd share a few tips.

When leveling up you get 5 skill points which you can use by pressing G
                                If you screw up you have 1 undo per level press :/undoskills

If you plan on using weapons as your main form of attack, Interception is pretty much mandatory. "Ability to interfere with adjacent enemies.
                                Can prevent them from teleporting, casting,
                                summoning, running away."

As a caster once you get your resistance spell, keep it up all the time, double resist protects your inventory from being destroyed and even a single breath or ball spell can and will blow up your books and potions.

Unless you are playing an Istar, Druid, Shaman, Mimic, or Dwarf, and you have the cash buy a "climbing set". At some point you will hit levels with lots of mountains, and these help immensely. They cost a lot but try and pick them up on sale at the 1 shop.

Istar can usually teleport around and eventually get wraithform if they train Udon (Turns your form immaterial, and lets you walk through walls mountains etc.) Druids, Mimics, and Shamans can change into forms that can climb, and dwarfs learn to climb mountains.

If you are playing a caster, check out the spell section. It will show you what level you will get a certain spell at. Fireflash and Orb of Draining are the heavy hitters if you wan't to play a pure caster, but the others are fun too.

I highly recommend getting conveyance to at least 5 if your class allows it for phase door and disarm. Divination is amazing, gives you great detection, and at level 15 will let you to map parts of the level.

If you don't have access to divination or the holy support spells, make sure to buy a couple of rods of detection when you reach town. These will show monsters, items, traps and doors. This is one reason i prefer using races with good magic device skills if i'm not playing a caster.

Stealth is a huuuuge advantage in this game, running into an awake pack of Dark Elven Warlocks is pretty much instadeath if you don't have detection/esp and a decent range attack.

Archers are amazing and tons of fun, i buy at least 3 scrolls of enchant damage for my shooter, then just skill up your chosen weapon, Archery, Calmness and whatever else you want, health and dodge are nice, necromancy is fun. Once they start getting extra shots and a decent bow, they become absolutely devastating, machine gunning destroyers.

Runecrafters are really nice for IDDC, they don't need to find or buy spellbooks and have really powerful fully customizable spells.

I've been playing around with rangers too, these guys are great. Can build a sword wielding, bow/sling/crossbow using fighter with a bit of detection magic.

Or skill up swords, and an elemental school for ranged (probably fire) very versatile. Plus they eventually learn to swim and pass through trees.

Well, looking forward to seeing y'all soon. If you ever have any questions just ask in chat : button, anyone on will help you out.
                                Last edited by UglySquirrell; November 4, 2014, 00:24.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎