X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ranger jeff
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
    Best thing about FA competitions: The swaths of red rows in the competition ladder
    Yeah, my winner got very lucky with xp early on, which allowed me to dive fast, but the whole way, after the first try I made, and the 50 or so not at all successful attempts after that, I adopted an extreme "run away at the first sniff of danger" strategy. Teleport level even. Only when I knew what I was looking at, probed it even, would I stick around. Telepathy was non-negotiable, and I was lucky to get it early (level 36?) from a very nice heavy flail of Gondolin, outperformed all weapons until late in the game (when I'd already killed Ungoliant). Regular Detection, too. That maelstrom v unique I never felt comfortable facing, always exited level immediately, after the first time I saw him and he blasted me down to double digit hp in one shot from like 450hp, with decent resists, after I'd already hit him pretty good with a couple arrows. Even on the final level, when Morgy summoned him, I immediately teleported away. Lucky he didn't catch up with the battle...

And the fucking hounds... exit level.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ranger jeff
      "FA unreasons"
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• MattB
        Veteran
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by debo
        Best thing about FA competitions: The swaths of red rows in the competition ladder
        You're very welcome!

Comment

• MattB
          Veteran
          • Mar 2013

Luckily I didn't even encounter that particular breed of hound. Nexus hounds were bad enough.

Comment

• clouded
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2012

That maelstrom v unique
            Wiruin actually doesn't move so you can use Q tactics on it (corner shooting), it can still be a nasty surprise, though. I think it should be able to teleport you to it, a maelstrom would suck you in wouldn't it?

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by clouded
              Wiruin actually doesn't move so you can use Q tactics on it (corner shooting), it can still be a nasty surprise, though. I think it should be able to teleport you to it, a maelstrom would suck you in wouldn't it?
              Now that Nick is the Angband maintainer, maybe you should become the FA maintainer.

Comment

• ranger jeff
                Apprentice
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by clouded
                Ah, didn't notice that he stayed put, knowing that I'd guess he's fairly balanced. Figured v so must wander around like a vortex.

And hounds of Tindalos are the worst, at least until you're past level 50 and have some resist nether. Aether, too. Many hounds are very dangerous until you're at least level 40 and have good hp and damage output and resists. Always awake and no treasure and can cost you resources. Very annoying in those mid-levels when you see a target you want to take out and then as you approach you see a pack of hounds approaching via ESP and have to run away...

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Congrats to ranger jeff for winning his second competition in a row!

Thanks to all the participants who colored the comp 163 ladder such a lovely shade of red.

Comp 164 is currently baking -- there are a few last tweaks to work out, but it should be up in a day or two.

Comment

• ranger jeff
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 2012

Thanks! And there would've been another 50 red entries if I'd listed all my failed attempts, trying to go fast and usually not making it past CL20. But try and try again and you'll eventually get a lucky start. Helps being unemployed and playing for like 100 hours over the course of the comp.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎