X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thraalbee
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

Kavlax drops four artifacts

Just killed Kavlax in the current comp and he dropped four artifacts! Can't say I've seen that often. Two of the drops came in handy - Sting and the Phial.
    Code:
    a) the Short Sword 'Sting' (1d7) (+7,+8) <+1, +3, +2>
     Dropped by Kavlax the Many-Headed at 3100 feet (level 62)

f) the Phial of Galadriel <+3>

u) the Battle Axe of Balli Stonehand (3d8) (+8,+11) [+5] <+3, +1>

v) the Battle Axe 'Lotharang' (2d8) (+14,+13) <+3, +1>
  • Rowan
    Adept
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Thraalbeast
    Just killed Kavlax in the current comp and he dropped four artifacts!
    Very cool! Kavlax is one of my least favorite- he always seems to appear either too early to be killable or too late to be useful. Nice to see he managed to give you some good presents this time

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rowan
      Very cool! Kavlax is one of my least favorite- he always seems to appear either too early to be killable or too late to be useful. Nice to see he managed to give you some good presents this time
      Kavlax and Gorlim are considered by many to be a little bit "gotcha" monsters. They are quite powerful for the levels that they start to show up. I tend to avoid them until later in the game when they are more easily killed.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

In one of my previous comp chars, Golfimbul dropped both Dal-i-thalion and Dor-lomin, two of the best artifacts in the game. Usually he drops a piece of crap +2 +3 weapon...
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Fluster
          Rookie
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          Kavlax and Gorlim are considered by many to be a little bit "gotcha" monsters. They are quite powerful for the levels that they start to show up. I tend to avoid them until later in the game when they are more easily killed.
          Speaking of Gorlim, I had a funny incident with him in my previous game. I found the Helm of Gorlim on a level and carried it in my bag for a moment, and just a few corners later Gorlim himself appeared and tried to claim it back. I defended my new artifact fiercely of course and managed to kill him. Aside his dead body I took a closer look on the helm, estimated it worthless and tossed it away.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fluster
            Speaking of Gorlim, I had a funny incident with him in my previous game. I found the Helm of Gorlim on a level and carried it in my bag for a moment, and just a few corners later Gorlim himself appeared and tried to claim it back. I defended my new artifact fiercely of course and managed to kill him. Aside his dead body I took a closer look on the helm, estimated it worthless and tossed it away.
            Gorlim gives +8 tohit/todam, which is awesome on a helm. If you're a warrior and don't care about the INT/WIS/searching penalty, you can use it during the Morgoth fight.
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Fluster
              Rookie
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
              Gorlim gives +8 tohit/todam, which is awesome on a helm. If you're a warrior and don't care about the INT/WIS/searching penalty, you can use it during the Morgoth fight.
              Can't recall the details of the item, but I was playing ranger.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                Kavlax is a bit Russian roulette - thing when you first meet it. It isn't especially big monster but it has couple very dangerous attacks, so if you manage to injure it badly before it uses those you can kill it with low level char, if it uses those immediately you are toast.

Thing is that if it doesn't use those at first encounter, it still has that "gotcha" potential until it actually does that. Meeting it once might not teach you that lesson unlike meeting most other monsters.

Comment

• fph
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

OTOH, I find the idea behind the Tarrasque very instructive, although deadly. The message is "be prepared, because that thing is a frigging high-damage-breath machine gun".
                  There are some other "1 cast every 2 turns" monsters, but most of them have junk spells in their list, so the Tarrasque is a truly unique encounter.

Maybe there should be earlier, less deadly monsters on the same theme? Or there should be a warning level for spell frequency in the monster recall, like "casts spells very frequently" in red?
                  --
                  Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• gglibertine
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2007

Speaking of great drops -- Brodda the Easterling just dropped the Katana Aglarang at 750', quadrupling my average damage per round.

SWEET.

Comment

• gglibertine
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by fph
                      OTOH, I find the idea behind the Tarrasque very instructive, although deadly. ... Maybe there should be earlier, less deadly monsters on the same theme? Or there should be a warning level for spell frequency in the monster recall, like "casts spells very frequently" in red?
                      There is at least one: Farmer Maggot. If you get him while you're still wimpy he takes FOREVER to kill.

Comment

• Mudd
                        Adept
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by gglibertine
                        There is at least one: Farmer Maggot. If you get him while you're still wimpy he takes FOREVER to kill.
                        Yup...I chased him around the store forever once with a dagger. Finally realized he wasn't ever going to fall...stepped into the store and bought a main gauche....went back after him and he fell a few turns later.

Comment

• Will
                          Apprentice
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Thraalbee
                          Just killed Kavlax in the current comp and he dropped four artifacts! Can't say I've seen that often. Two of the drops came in handy - Sting and the Phial.
                          Sting is always nice, but don't underestimate Lotharang: the activation is amazing, and recharges really quickly.

I had a bit the same scenario today with Ar-Pharazon. He dropped:
                          - the Metal Brigandine Armour of the Rohirrim
                          - the Quarterstaff 'Nar-i-vagil'
                          - a pair of Sandals of Speed +10

Comment

• Will
                            Apprentice
                            • Nov 2016

Another of those experiences today, all on the same level, at clvl 36 dlvl 49:
                            - vault (Forasgil, Elros)
                            - Shelob
                            - Ariel
                            - Smaug
                            - Scatha (Cammithrim)

and finally Ithangast with Nimthanc, Hithlomir, Oromë and... Cubragol.

One unique, 4 artifacts, 3 upgrades, can't complain

Comment

• Mondkalb
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Found Nenya and Narya and Dvarwen PDSM on dlv 81.
                              Last edited by Mondkalb; November 26, 2016, 14:31.
                              My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡