X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tobias
    Adept
    • Dec 2009

Video LP and tutorial for angband.

I have finally started making angband videos.

I will start slowly and explain the game so that the videos can be used as tutorial. I also have a keylogger running so that the watchers can see what exactly I am doing. The patches I use are in the attachment.

I also made a playlist http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...385E85F31166B2

After some time this will become a normal LP. Though I don't expect to win, i only got that lucky once.

The first video explains how to install the game and how to do basic code edits.
    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

2011-05-11 The next set is out.
    Here I generate a character, explain the birth and interface settings
    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

I explain the rest of options, squelching and Macros and have to quit due to a bug.

I explain the workaround for bug #1389, Pref files , edit files, basic shopping and enter the dungeon for the first time.

2011-05-22 The next Session: Here is a real tutorial. Gnome Rogue, first dive. I put them on the beginning of the playlist.

P.S.: If someone knows how to get youtube to reliable accept a video made by ffmpeg can you help me? It took my several hours to go from recorded video to finished upload.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tobias; May 22, 2011, 22:18.
    My Angband videos : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...385E85F31166B2
  • Netbrian
    Adept
    • Jun 2009

This is great!

The normal tutorial is far outdated -- you can't buy lanterns in the general store anymore.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

On the flipside, lanterns aren't as crucial anymore either since torches provide a radius-2 light source.

Comment

• Tobias
        Adept
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
        On the flipside, lanterns aren't as crucial anymore either since torches provide a radius-2 light source.
        I usually try to find a Lantern at the BM these days.
        On a related note the next set of videos is out.

I ran into bug #1389 with my macros, hadn't played since it happened. Does anybody here know how I put space and escape into macros these days?

Spent half my starting money on a Lantern at the BM. Couldn't buy healing potions. Met Grip in the first room. Almost died.
        Last edited by Tobias; May 15, 2011, 18:37.

Comment

• fph
          Veteran
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Tobias
          Spent half my starting money on a Lantern at the BM. Couldn't buy healing potions. Met Grip in the first room. Almost died.
          Throw your flasks of oil to the bastard as soon as you see him. They do a respectable damage, he should run away scared after the first hit.
          --
          Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

My typical starting purchases these days look something like this for warriors and hybrid classes. Note that I start with no equipment in exchange for having more money (a birth option).

* Two rations
            * Two torches
            * A few scrolls of Phase Door
            * A couple potions of Heroism
            * A couple potions of Cure Light Wounds
            * A scroll of Word of Recall
            * A dagger
            * Spend the rest on armor (leather armor, shield, helm, boots, gloves, cloak)

Obviously priests and mages grab a spellbook, and priests go for a different weapon, probably a whip. Any spare cash goes towards more healing potions; they'll get used.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
              Obviously priests and mages grab a spellbook, and priests go for a different weapon, probably a whip.
              Priests needs to kill things with melee quite a long while at the start of the game, and they get only one blow also for a long time, so they go for biggest weapon they can get, not the smallest. Missile weapons are alternative, but those costs a lot in current vanilla.

I don't buy recall, I use stairs for first few trips into dungeon (I might buy second book instead). With no selling 3.2.0 gives so much money in early levels that you might want to buy a shovel to get money for more gear asap.

Otherwise my gear is pretty similar to yours.

Comment

• Tobias
                Adept
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                Priests needs to kill things with melee quite a long while at the start of the game, and they get only one blow also for a long time, so they go for biggest weapon they can get, not the smallest. Missile weapons are alternative, but those costs a lot in current vanilla.

I don't buy recall, I use stairs for first few trips into dungeon (I might buy second book instead). With no selling 3.2.0 gives so much money in early levels that you might want to buy a shovel to get money for more gear asap.

Otherwise my gear is pretty similar to yours.
                Yea if I hadn't seen the lantern I would have bought a shovel. I usually play pure mages. Used to sell my starting weapon to get a lantern from the BM or a shovel.

My next char will be a mage again.

Originally posted by fph
                Throw your flasks of oil to the bastard as soon as you see him. They do a respectable damage, he should run away scared after the first hit.
                I thought extra damage from Oil was broken?

Comment

• myshkin
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • Apr 2007

I ran into bug #1389 with my macros, hadn't played since it happened. Does anybody here know how I put space and escape into macros these days?
                  Unfortunately, the keymap editor doesn't know how to handle some special characters yet. You'll need to edit the preference files by hand, and insert "[Escape]" where you need the escape key. Space should work just like letters, though. Are you seeing different behavior?

Comment

• Tobias
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by myshkin
                    Unfortunately, the keymap editor doesn't know how to handle some special characters yet. You'll need to edit the preference files by hand, and insert "[Escape]" where you need the escape key. Space should work just like letters, though. Are you seeing different behavior?
                    I haven't gotten around to testing much yet. Space might work, don't need it much with auto_more on. I will try "[Escape]".

Comment

• Tobias
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2009

The next Session is out.
                      I thought that my previous videos are a little to detailed for a tutorial, so I recorded a normal first session for a new character.

I roll up a gnome rogue and take her for a dive. I go to dlvl 6, then my backpack was full and I recalled and sold my loot. I had planned to explain the forum and ladder too, but totally forgot about it. Didn't run into an unique either, so I couldn't explain those.

Next session will probably be next weekend.

Comment

• Tobias
                        Adept
                        • Dec 2009

The third set:

More of Angband, Tumar the gnomish rogue does a bit of shopping. Then She embarks on her second dive to the dungeons of Angband.
                        As ?Recall (Scroll of Recall) is expensive, she decides to walk, showing of her new ability to detect stairs.

She encounters Fang, farmer maggot's dog, and her first unique ( Boss ) Monster.

Tumar continues wit her second dive. She find an excellent weapon, which boosts her confidence, and destroys my speaking skillz .She makes her way down to dungeon level 8. So she heads on without lingering there.

On level 9, Tumar has a very good feeling about this.
                        Her magic quickly tells her about the presence of Lagduf the snaga.
                        Her new weapons give her the confidence to take him down, for justice and great loot...
                        Tumar's greed was her undoing.

Next time on Let's Play Angband: I roll up a mage.

So my first char is finished. I had meant her as a bit of a tutorial for beginners. I hope I didn't fail totally at this. When 3.3 comes out I will record a new tutorial set, so I would be very grateful for some constructive critiques.

Comment

• Rivendell
                          Rookie
                          • Mar 2011

Learned quite a bit by watching these videos, and the ones with Ezel the mage. Thanks for making them Tobias, good Angband Let's Plays are very rare.

Thought I would give this thread a little bump. Hope no one minds.
                          Last edited by Rivendell; January 13, 2012, 08:07.

Comment

• Tobias
                            Adept
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Rivendell
                            Learned quite a bit by watching these videos, and the ones with Ezel the mage. Thanks for making them Tobias, good Angband Let's Plays are very rare.

Thought I would give this thread a little bump. Hope no one minds.
                            I just got my first V4 character to stat-gain. I will probably record some videos of him over the weekend.

Comment

• Magnate
                              Angband Devteam member
                              • May 2007

I just got my first V4 character to stat-gain. I will probably record some videos of him over the weekend.
                              Er ... are you using the current version with the new melee combat system, which also has broken archery and pricing, or are you using an older version? If you're using the current version, please explain that some stuff is temporarily broken!
                              "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎