Which would you say is the *hardest* class to play ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by swim
    What does "TO" and "MM" stand for?
    TO stands for teleport other, MM for magic missile.

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by swim
      What does "TO" and "MM" stand for?
      TO - teleport other
      TS - teleport self
      MM - magic missile

other useful ones are
      ? - scrolls
      ! - potions
      * - immunity
      r or p = resist / prevent
      MoD - mace of disruption
      Ros - ring of speed
      RoP - ring of power
      BoC - blade of chaos
      SoS - schyte of slicing
      Ban / MBan - Banishment / Mass banishment
      others should be self evident, like !Enlight is potion of Enlightment. *Heal is potion of *Healing*, etc
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• bughunter
        Adept
        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Sky
        SoS - schyte of slicing

(snort)

Don't make me start a parody Angband item thread.

Comment

• Selkie
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2020

So after the discussion about druid play I decided I'd thought about druids all wrong.

Instead of dumping all my points into wisdom at the start and playing like an offensive spellcaster I went the other way. I chose half troll and pumped points into strength and focussed early on increasing my dexterity. I managed to find a weapon with +2 attack and fought nearly exclusively in fox form. I barely touched lightning strike or earth rising this time around.

Things have gone so much better and I'm breezing life at level 40 right now. Finally, got a cloak with telepathy and I'm still using my early weapon find with +2 attack speed and combined with bear form it's a beast. Not to mention you get haste, decent mapping and my absolute favourite revitalise stats and XP.

Before getting the inspiration to replay druids I had been playing a priest at level 45 but just got so bored I abandoned the game. I find priest especially such a grind. I'd always choose offense over defence and spamming heal spells gets really dull.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Priest is probably my favourite class and I am really curious what people who get bored do with their priests. Spamming heal happens when I fight Carcharoth or such, if it bothered me I would leave him alone. Most of the time its orb, later archery or melee yes, depending on items found. But this is exactly why I love priest - they can end up being either of the 3, caster archer or melee fighter.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

It's the starting priest that's so painful. You don't have enough mana to reasonably cast orb. Your melee is weak. You are left hoping for a good bow and devices.

Comment

• Selkie
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Estie
                Priest is probably my favourite class and I am really curious what people who get bored do with their priests. Spamming heal happens when I fight Carcharoth or such, if it bothered me I would leave him alone. Most of the time its orb, later archery or melee yes, depending on items found. But this is exactly why I love priest - they can end up being either of the 3, caster archer or melee fighter.
                Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

• malcontent
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2019

Are we all trying our difficult races/classes right now? No new winners on the Vanilla ladder in almost 10 days...

I've killed about 6 necromancers during that time. I'm torn between liking a challenge and hating the combo.

I have one promising @necromacer right now but putting him on the shelf for a bit - want to enjoy Angband again - so playing a dunadan warrior with randards I swear I got to DL30 in about 1/10th the amount of real time it takes to get a necromancer there!

Kudos to the overall game concept/design - the myriad choices for how to configure a game allow for a lot of variety!

Comment

• Selkie
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2020

@malcontent have you tried a blackguard? There's an early awkward patch when you're stuck on one blow per round, but by mid/late game you're a melee boss. It's great fun the damage you're capable of inflicting, and rising from the dead when you make an error of judgement

Comment

• malcontent
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Selkie
                      @malcontent have you tried a blackguard? There's an early awkward patch when you're stuck on one blow per round, but by mid/late game you're a melee boss. It's great fun the damage you're capable of inflicting, and rising from the dead when you make an error of judgement
                      Haven't tried blackguard so much since 4.2.2 was released - maybe I'll give that another try soon! The competition experience was discouraging. The poor stealth drives me crazy.

Comment

• archolewa
                        Swordsman
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by malcontent
                        Haven't tried blackguard so much since 4.2.2 was released - maybe I'll give that another try soon! The competition experience was discouraging. The poor stealth drives me crazy.
                        Yeah, if you like stealthy play, Blackguards arent going to be fun. Personally, I dont care much about stealth. If theres something nasty, I prefer to keep my distance.

For this reason I find mage the hardest. While I don't try to kill everything on each level, I certainly like to kill most things, and the mages squishiness inevitably leads to me getting flattened because Im being too murderous.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎